Considering of going to the Dark Side.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had the tire mounted and finally mounted it on the bike. I won't be able to ride yest since I'm still finalizing my speaker and amp set up.

IMAG0212.jpg

I can understand the debate that evolves around going darkside. There's truth to be had on both sides of the argument. The one thing I don't get are the namby pamby's who get on their soap box and preach that motorcycle/mechanical engineer's decisions should never be questioned. I have a ongoing debate with one such knucklehead on another forum. In his estimation, the only modifications that should be made to a motorcycle, should only come from the manufacturer. In his mind every modification voids the warranty and will result in cataclysmic failure of the motorcycle. Needless to say, I really enjoy messing with him.

I'm all for modding anything. The manufacturer wants to reach as many people as they can, which will always leave the fringe to modding to suit their needs.
However,
I think you're nuts :flipoff2:

I've been teetering on that "might lose a kneecap" line too many times to even contemplate giving up sidewall.

I haven't even heard of this. What is the upside?

Last edited:
On large, heavier, cruisers, a car tire is an alternative to overpriced and outdated motorcycle tire technology. The upside is larger contact patch, stickier tire compounds, and better handling on wet roads. This idea isn't new and has been around for decades. The funny thing is that the "rides on the sidewall" argument comes up in almost every conversation. It doesn't. In turns and curves, the outer portion of the tread is ridden upon. The tire deflects enough to keep the tread on the pavement.

This tire was under a Valkyrie for 23k miles in all types of conditions.

dssideview.jpg

Same arguments you are going to find everywhere when mods are taken. Some people just cannot think that a deviation from factory spec could be a benefit.

I like the idea. Not on a speed bike, but it sounds like a great idea on a cruiser.

Keep us informed on how you like it.

I can understand the debate that evolves around going darkside. There's truth to be had on both sides of the argument. The one thing I don't get are the namby pamby's who get on their soap box and preach that motorcycle/mechanical engineer's decisions should never be questioned. I have a ongoing debate with one such knucklehead on another forum. In his estimation, the only modifications that should be made to a motorcycle, should only come from the manufacturer. In his mind every modification voids the warranty and will result in cataclysmic failure of the motorcycle. Needless to say, I really enjoy messing with him.

Reliance on only motorcycle tires is a social construct that needs to be challenged. :D

At 1:18 this video shows the kind of lifting of the outer edge that concerns me. But it is hard to tell just from this video how much of a contact patch there is--it might be just as large as a rounded tire when leaning over. :meh:

I still stay go for it. Can you attach a camera to look at your rear tire like in this video? Might be interesting to see.

How I raise my children to ride is of no consequence to you Mister! :lol:

I'm tempted to strap a camera on the underside but as you said, I'll probably run over the damned thing. It would make an awesome fail video though.

As far out on the edge as you can go before you start dragging hard parts on a cruiser you will still have more contact patch than on a rounded tire.

My rounded tire would light up all the time on the Valk.

Now I can't break it loose when standing up with the front brake on and a clutch dump. It just pushes the front tire.

Why would you even attempt that on a big cruiser. You're a kid.

On a side note, my cams arrived thursday and I installed them yesterday. I need to finish off a couple of other mods before I get to ride. I should be in the 100-105 hp, 105-110 tq range with this little add on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom