Considering importing a HJ75 troopy into the U.S. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about importing a HJ75 troopy into the U.S. I've started my research this week on it. Here are my reasons for doing so.

I currently have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser (manual) and a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 4x4. Both have been solid vehicles with no issues. My major grip with them is the FJ only has a 19 gallon tank and although the 4Runner has a 23 gallon tank, I would like to get a lot more range. I am also looking for more cargo room than both vehicles.

I've looked at both 100 and 200 series and although they seem solid and spacious, they gulp gas with extra weight added.

Enter the troopy. I see it comes with 2 fuel tanks and takes diesel fuel. Both seem beneficial for extended range. It also has a lot of space.

My primary purpose for the troopy would be to take my family of 4 and travel the country for a couple of months.

My primary concerns are the availability of parts for an imported vehicle. Also it would be 25+ years old which may bring its own issues.

What should I watch out for when importing a 25+ year old troopy?

My primary purpose for the troopy would be to take my family of 4 and travel the country for a couple of months.

My primary concerns are the availability of parts for an imported vehicle. Also it would be 25+ years old which may bring its own issues.

What should I watch out for when importing a 25+ year old troopy?

Do it and don't look back.

Opinions:
1. Parts not necessarily a big deal if you know the right people. Or you can swap in a 1HZ and be done with the H.
2. If you are not a do it yourself kind of guy, find a Cruiser whisperer and keep him happy.
3. Beware of passenger stress if you end up with a RHD vehicle in a LHD country. Assuming you are in US and bring in an Aussie or JDM truck, your wife/spouse/kids might find it disconcerting to face traffic head on next to the center line..... My wife is not crazy about our RHD 62.

Here's a plan: Find a crapped out troopy with an H motor, do a 1HZ motor swap and while you have it torn down, do a steering swap to LHD. All for less than the cost of a new Tundra/Tacoma.

Good luck! :cheers:

Do it and don't look back.

Opinions:
1. Parts not necessarily a big deal if you know the right people. Or you can swap in a 1HZ and be done with the H.
2. If you are not a do it yourself kind of guy, find a Cruiser whisperer and keep him happy.
3. Beware of passenger stress if you end up with a RHD vehicle in a LHD country. Assuming you are in US and bring in an Aussie or JDM truck, your wife/spouse/kids might find it disconcerting to face traffic head on next to the center line..... My wife is not crazy about our RHD 62.

Here's a plan: Find a crapped out troopy with an H motor, do a 1HZ motor swap and while you have it torn down, do a steering swap to LHD. All for less than the cost of a new Tundra/Tacoma.

Good luck! :cheers:

Thanks for the tips! Also thank you for the clarification on importing versus buying a new Toyota in the U.S. I was wondering that myself. It just makes more sense importing a diesel troopy and fixing it up, than buying a new Toyota in the U.S. that gets terrible gas mileage and less range. On top of that, I think the older Toyotas are more bulletproof than their newer counter-parts.

I think next year you will be able to import a HZJ75 with 1HZ engine with another 15-20 hp approx .Very easy to get engine parts on a worldwide basis.
Dont take it for granted they all have dual fuel tanks.It was an optional extra in australia until 1995,Im not sure about other markets.
Check the legality of adding extra seats in the rear if want your family all facing forward.
They are not really designed for rear forward facing seats unless it was fitted with them at the factory.
The front seats don't move far enough for easy access to the rear.
In later years it was more common and they fitted special front seats that moved forward ,tilted and then rotated about 60 degrees.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I must be missing something........ What is the difference when you face traffic head on next to the centerline as a passenger in a RHD vehicle and setting next to the same centerline when you are driving a LHD vehicle?

I'm under the impression that the extra tank on my HJ75 was only available on the Australian model.
Im pretty sure it was available in most markets. Maybe some countries missed out due to not having large remote areas. It would be hard to see how it would be needed in somewhere like Europe.
The extra tank is the same part number as the main tank on the 73/74 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom