confirm my suspicions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so my brakes gave out on my 87 4runner today, and heres how it went all in span of about half an hour.
1. normal brakes
2. so stiff i can barely press it and i can smell the brakes while driving
3. back to normal brakes
4. phase 2 again
5. no brakes at all, i got home by downshifting to engine brake.

my gut tells me its the master cylinder, which is super annoying because its less than 2 months old.

is my gut right? or if not, what is the problem.
this is super important because this is my only vehicle.

a few other bits of info, there is no brake fluid leaking anywhere, and all of the pads AND the fluid are brand new. ive been driving this truck perfectly fine for 2 months.

sounds like a caliper is locked, smelling brakes then getting no brakes at all sounds like the brakes heated to the point of boiling the fluid causing no brakes. check both front calipers to seee that the pistons are moving

sounds like a caliper is locked, smelling brakes then getting no brakes at all sounds like the brakes heated to the point of boiling the fluid causing no brakes. check both front calipers to seee that the pistons are moving
when the brakes stopper workng they werent grabbing anymore, and they didnt smell anymore

Sounds like the pushrod is set too tight, keeping pressure in the lines, which boiled the fluid.

when the brakes stopper workng they werent grabbing anymore, and they didnt smell anymore

they could have cooled down to the point that they didnt smell like they were burning. did you replace the master in the turck previously or just replace pads and rotors when you did the brakr work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom