Completely demolished rear bottom quarter panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a heavy trip through Africa, my half shaft broke at the bearing (after an incorrect repair) and the rear wheel went straight through the bodywork.

It flattened the complete hollow section of the rear.

I have now the option: (i) rebuilding it with a donor car or (ii) with after market panels, which I can only find from the outside part.

For the outside panels I am not so worried, but reshaping the inner part, feels more difficult to me.

Before I start cutting, does anybody have tips?
I don't feel like doing it wrong....

Image.png.jpeg

GetFileAttachment.jpg

Last edited:
Try to pull it out some before cutting
A clamp on the pinch weld or weld tabs of sheet metal that you can attach chain to and pull it Down
You want to reverse the direction of the impact
Just watch you don't start distorting the panel above the body line
As for cutting it off Iwould splice the new panel in
Just below body body line to minimize warping

Try to pull it out some before cutting
A clamp on the pinch weld or weld tabs of sheet metal that you can attach chain to and pull it Down
You want to reverse the direction of the impact
Just watch you don't start distorting the panel above the body line
As for cutting it off Iwould splice the new panel in
Just below body body line to minimize warping

Welding tabs of sheet metal on it is a good tip. I will try this.
It is amazing how badly it is folded around everything; movement is almost impossible.

Start with the last 'dent' first and then moved to the next to last, etc. Comes out cleaner that way. Also get rid of the bondo before you start so you can see the truth.

It would be easiest to cut out all the bad and splice in something better as @Tin basher said. Bonus: you'd get rid of a lot of rust.
On my no-rust 80, with damage in the same area, but not so bad, I couldn't get things to move as much as I needed. I drilled the spot welds out of the flange and cut a piece out from the frame side so I could work the visible panel easier and work the inside panel on a bench. Then, I welded it back in where it's not visible from anywhere but under the vehicle. The fit-up wasn't the best, but out of sight, I don't mind.

Then, I welded it back in where it's not visible from anywhere but under the vehicle. The fit-up wasn't the best, but out of sight, I don't mind.

Do you have a picture of the repaired inside panel of your car?

This is the inside of the right quarter panel on my 91 FJ80. It used to be folded up a bit like an accordion. Fortunately, the damage was primarily on the inside.
It's still bare metal because it's been too cold to put on a coating.
There wasn't much room to work, thus the fit up of the panel was poor, but I got it done. Ugly on the inside, straight on the visible side.

View attachment Inside right rear quarter.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom