Compass Rearview Mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My black lab knocked the rearview mirror off this weekend and when I went to reinstall, I stripped the screw :doh:. So I thought I would upgrade that tercel mirror with an autodimming/compass mirror. Can an auto dimming compass rearview mirror be installed on a '99 LC? Every place on the web states that they will work with the 2000 models. It doesn't seem like it should be anything out of the ordinary. Has anyone else done this upgrade and if so, where did you purchase the mirror and do you have any install tips.

Thank you in advance,

uzj100

Check out Performance - they have them in their catalogs.

I hate compasses for cars - get a GPS and keep the compass for when you're hiking. :flipoff2:

Hey Photoman,

Do you think you can post the process of installing those rear view mirrors? Such as power routing, mounting to existing bracket, and etc.

Junk,
I was trying to hide yo mama fixing her dress back up. I be out your way in a couple of days so be nice or......

Darkangel,
I will try to get something for you tomorrow although it's been a while since I did it.
Bill

Often, they'll say a mirror is incompatible if they don't have the proper mount for a ceiling mounted mirror. However, you can simply buy a windshield mounted model and then place it where it works with your sunvisors, etc. This is essentially what I did, though the source was one of my bro's who custom made it at a mirror supplier for me. Putting it on the w/s is a no brainer, and ditto for installing - a one banana job tops.

Then, you end up with a pair of unoccupied hard mount screws at the front edge of the headliner where the old mirror mount went. I've considered a variety of things from a small custom shelf, CB mount, emergency LifeHammer mount, or flashlight mount. They are perfect for something like that, since they're in threaded holes in a welded part of the roof and can take a lot of force...

IdahoDoug

On the '99 the mirror mounts to the windshield. I will order one up and see. Any idea the best place to purchase one of these?

uzj100

Darkangel,
IdahoDoug jogged my memory. I remember the mirror did not come with that little metal "shoe" that you glue to the windshield. I got one from NAPA and tried it and as I recall I had so sort of problem and had to get another and modify/file it or something. As Doug said it is really a very simple job. IIRC, I did some kind or screwy tape deal to locate the mirror shoe on the windshield. I think I put masking tape on the outside, put the mirror shoe against the windshield on the inside and magic marked it, transfered the marks to the outside tape as I could see them through the windshield. Then, I could clean the inside of the windshield good for the glue to work which removed the magic marker ink but left my marks on the outside tape for alignment. Anyway, I then ran the wires under the headliner over to the DS (US) A pillar. I think you need both switched and constant power which both can be found at the ignition switch etc. Constant for the compass memory and switched so the mirror to come on with the key. Then I just ran the temp sensor out through the firewall along the ABS stuff and out behind the bumper. As I recall I put the sensor in a dab of silicone to cushion it a little and tie wired it on. Sorry, this is the best I can remember.
Bill

We install and sell them all the time. It connects to the backup light circuit to turn off the auto-dimming when backing up. Then need a ground and +12v. Also have a the leads for the termocouple that has to be run outside of the truck.

It attaches to the windshield with one of those lillte metal plate things. However after trying 5/6 kits from the autoparts store, we gave up and just take it to the windhield shop to have it glued on. In every case when we tried to glue it on (as per the instructions) the glue did not hold.

Prices range from $99 to $250 depending on model. See http://www.mitocorp.com/

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=6529;start=msg53241#msg53241 date=1066746628]
We install and sell them all the time. It connects to the backup light circuit to turn off the auto-dimming when backing up. Then need a ground and +12v. Also have a the leads for the termocouple that has to be run outside of the truck.

It attaches to the windshield with one of those lillte metal plate things. However after trying 5/6 kits from the autoparts store, we gave up and just take it to the windhield shop to have it glued on. In every case when we tried to glue it on (as per the instructions) the glue did not hold.

Prices range from $99 to $250 depending on model. See http://www.mitocorp.com/
[/quote]

Christo, I noticed that color camera on their website, but the only screen they offer is one of those in-dash stereo/dvd jobs. Do you know of any sources for a reverse camera/monitor system that uses one of those small (maybe 4") LCD flat screen displays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom