Combination window shades and storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always used some DIY window shades when camping. In the past, I’ve used black coroplast , cut to fit snugly inside the window wells.

I wanted to see if I could make the shades more rigid, as the coroplast versions had started to bend with time.

I also saw some other threads where folks had used the molle planets mounted over the windows, so I thought I might be able to kill two birds with one stone, albeit with keeping everything within the otherwise-unused space of the window wells.

So my new version is pretty basic. 1/4” sanded birch plywood sandwiched to thin black plastic sheets, both of which I bought at Home Depot. I added some black rubber weather stripping to the edges.

Then I went to my stash of old holsters, pouches and body armor carriers.

On the passenger side, I used a molle panel that came with an old sling bag I used to have. I glued it down with some spray adhesive and added some rivets for good measure.

For the drivers side, I took an old body armor carrier and cut the front out of it. When I say “old,” I mean OLD, as in pre-molle, early 90’s. I think it came from US Armor and it has a soft Velcro surface with snaps. I even found some of the old snap-on pouches thst came with each set.

I added a leather tab at the bottom of each because otherwise, getting them out would be a bear. Truth be told, I’ll probably just leave them in, anyway, as both are in blind spots.

I still need to do the back and second row windows, but those need to be easier to remove.

212BD9FB-1E07-427C-B270-FADD07270A36.jpeg

0A838DFF-F571-4EFF-8933-CE98C06ED8DD.jpeg

C1E7147F-818E-4731-BD64-A3B18549359A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom