- Carbondale, Colorado 81623 United States
1986 Vanagon Syncro Westfalia Subaru 2.5L Price: 25000
1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Westfalia Weekender. It has a Subaru 2.5L engine from a 2010 Outback. 100k miles on engine and 10k miles since install; the 2.5L had 90k miles on it when installed in 2019.
Unfortunately, I have to sell it due to a failing sewer line from our house to the city line and we need the funds. We had big plans to take it to Baja this winter but that's not going to happen
This Syncro is pretty much ready to go with most everything rebuilt:
- Subaru 2.5L conversion done by European Autoworks in Bellingham, WA. At the time of conversion, lots of parts were replaced: head gasket, clutch, thermostat, timing belt, tensioner, slave cylinder, crankshaft seal, starter, fuel pump, speedometer, etc.
*speedometer was replaced and set to 0 miles at the time of conversion*
- Rear locking differential
- Heavy-duty brake upgrade: front and rear. The rear now has disc brakes.
- Rebuilt transmission
- Old Man Emu shocks and link bushings
- CV's were recently replaced
- Large mirrors
- South African grill conversion
- Canvas is in great shape
- Comes with a NEW set of 4 Nokian snow tires (215/65R16) uninstalled and in the boxes. The tires that are on it are still in good shape and have lots of life left.
- I have receipts totaling $50k+ for this thing
**This thing drives really well and is a blast with the Subi engine. Mechanically, it is in great condition.**
The NOT SO GOOD:
- The body: has some rust and some dents. The rust isn't horrible and I've seen way worse. Unfortunately, someone backed into the driver's rear corner and drove off while it was parked in a parking lot. The rust and dents didn't bother us much; our intention was to just use it.
* It has previously had some body work on it and it's ready for it again or just use it. *
- The interior has been used and is a little worn. Nothing horrible and to be expected. It's a little dirty and has some stains.
- NO AC. The Subaru engine has the AC components on it but the actual VW AC unit is gone to create more storage.
- Tachometer: for some reason, the tachometer reads backward. Never bothered me.
This Syncro is ready to find a new home. Hopefully, I'll be able to get another one at some point in my life.
Lots more pics available upon request. The van is located in Carbondale, CO.