Cold Weather = Toffee Season... :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark, I hold you personally responsible for my weight gain this past weekend!:flipoff2:
3lb order showed up and 1lb is gone already :whoops: :censor:

Great stuff! :cheers:

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for Mark here. His toffee is a huge hit, but while we are enjoying the toffee, he is stuck in the kitchen after work slaving away to get the toffee orders out the door! Hang in there Mark, your efforts have not been in vain.

I'm curious about the logistics-especially with an order like Bigndn for 15 pounds. Is that one batch or several? It sounds like a part time job. Hang in there, because my order is almost gone and I might need another fix.

I think Mark mentioned somewhere that he makes 6 lbs at a time.
Maybe it was in a PM to me...I don't recall.

NorCalDoug said:
I think Mark mentioned somewhere that he makes 6 lbs at a time.
Maybe it was in a PM to me...I don't recall.

I thought that was your mid afternoon snack Doug. hehehe :flipoff2:

Cruiserdrew said:
Hang in there Mark, your efforts have not been in vain.

I'm curious about the logistics-especially with an order like Bigndn for 15 pounds. Is that one batch or several? It sounds like a part time job. Hang in there, because my order is almost gone and I might need another fix.

Also, about how long does a batch take to make? Just curious.....

hmmmmmmmm........
i live down the street from MR. TOFFEE and still havent seen any...........

maaaaaaaaaaark, i asked if you needed help melting butter.:frown: :D

hey Mark!
can you double toffee recipes? Not asking you to...but you're a toffee maker, so I'm guessing that you'd know.

I know in baking, it's not a recipe, but a formula in most cases. Doubling doesn't necessarily work. In cooking, it's okay to double ingredients to make twice as much...

So, I guess what I'm asking is -- Is toffee making more like cooking or baking?

Ok, around now...sorry guys, was a bit AWOLMK (AWOL making toffee :) )...wow, been really busy with that, new job, training...holiday shopping, etc...so yeah, just now getting back to reading anything on here.

A batch of toffee is 3 lbs, not by design, but just that's what the weight ends up being, so an order greater than 3 lbs requires multiple batches, which is not a problem, but in my experience (and yes I have tried many, many variations and different processes to make it and procedures) it's not worth trying to change the recipe. I have tried doubling it, but a normal kitchen stove does not put out enough heat, to make the toffee the pan gets HOT, hot enough that the bottom 1/4" of all my wooden spoons are burned black from it and I go through 3-4 new spoons a year (part of the knack to making it is knowing how hot you can get it, since if you don't get it hot enough it won't be hard and won't taste good, but even as much as 5-10 seconds too long on the heat and it'll be a ruined batch that tastes burnt...yes I have ruined MANY batches over the years)...

I use the same pan for each batch, clean it out each time, etc...if I made a bigger batch (and had a stove that could put out enough heat) I would have to have a larger area to dump the insanely-hot-molten-lava-toffee when it's done, with what I have now it all just fits together well.

I have contemplated using a turkey fryer to make it, but then dumping it out is a problem and honestly it's only a side hobby, it's fun and I like the fact that others like it, but it's not my main job or anything like that....and I don't make much money on it, once you factor in the ingredient (next time you're at a store, look at the price of almonds!) costs, bags, shipping, my time (takes about 30 minutes to make one batch, part spent doing the actual cooking and part spent on the breaking/weighing/bagging/shipping, that part is done the next morning after it has all cooled).

So yeah it's fun, but too much work to get crazy about it...for the last couple years though it's paid for all the Christmas presents I have bought, so that's nice, alot of work, but nice and atleast a few people seem to enjoy the stuff...
:D

Sooo...if anyone would like to order anymore (NOT guaranteed arrival before Christmas ofcourse) for like a New Year's party or something feel free to...I FINALLY just got all caught-up yesterday (shipped something like 39 lbs yesterday and hand delievered another 15 lbs this morning...sigh).

Thanks guys!

:cheers:

dude...you rock!

I didn't think about the weight of the end product or the heat needed to bring the sugar/syrup to the right temp.

I'm pretty much out already...and I haven't shared much yet. :)

Thanks for all the work (and love) you put into the toffee...it shows in the end product. :)

Say...is that the secret ingredient? Did you just give it up? Molten wooden spoon particles? That's got to be it ;)

NorCalDoug said:
dude...you rock!
I'm pretty much out already...and I haven't shared much yet. :)

Thanks for all the work (and love) you put into the toffee...it shows in the end product. :)

Say...is that the secret ingredient? Did you just give it up? Molten wooden spoon particles? That's got to be it ;)
You'll have more coming your way soon...

No problem on the hard work, it's fun to make something that people actually like.

Secret ingredient...yes charred wooden spoon, although it's more for texture than flavor... :D

Gotta agree with Doug here Mark - thanks a bunch for sharing your passion. 3lbs are gone already, but my waist says no more this season.

QUOTE N/CDOUG//Say...is that the secret ingredient? Did you just give it up? Molten wooden spoon particles? That's got to be it

just alittle fiber in your diet is all...;)

:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2: i get mine dropped off tonight :bounce: :bounce2:

This must mean mine is on the way!!!

Yummmmmmmmm.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Brentbba said:
3lbs are gone already, but my waist says no more this season.
Ha...rookie!! :D

toffee man comes thru!!!

THANX MARK!!!!!!
we bought this mostly for friends, but had to try it out last night..............

ooooohhhhh baby!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)

jim

Just got mine!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Yummmmmmmmy.

Next year I might order some for "other" people.

THANKS, MARK!!! Got the big order yesterday and went delivering last night! Wouldn't you know it..........one of the bags opened spontaneously! Great stuff! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom