CO: Engineer Pass - Mineral Creek Spur - Stock GX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm currently planning a family vacation to the San Juans next year. I have a stock 2007 GX470 with 32" all-terrain tires. I have wanted to drive the Alpine Loop for quite some time.

Has anyone taken a stock GX470 on the Alpine Loop and, particularly, the Mineral Creek Spur from Ouray to Engineer Pass? I'm reading both horror stories online and people saying they have taken stock F250s up it.

For background, I'm new to the GX world but spend the last decade off-roading on rocky trails with stock-height Subarus. This has helped my wheel placement and driving skills a lot, making off-roading the GX feel quite easy. However, I'd rather not trash my GX a long ways from home.

Rednexus you can for sure take a stock GX on those Mineral Creek has a couple Mild spots that you will have to get through but nothing you can not do . Depending what time of year you plan on going you could go when the FJ summit is going on ( it sells out in seconds ) but there are a ton of people that will be there and will help if you have any issues .

A few years ago I ran a stock Dodge Dakota up the Ouray side all the way over to Lake City. The reports about the first 5 miles being tough are true, they are the roughest.

Did I have any issues with a stock 4 door truck running on 31x10’s? None at all. Never scraped, never close to doing anything that was remotely scary. My wife had a cow a few times though.

If you’re worried about Engineer start in Lake City and head west. It can’t be much over minivan material. Just remember that 5 mile stretch near Ouray ;)

Thanks for the replies. We drove from Lake City to the American Basin several years ago in a stock Outback. It was slow but we never once scraped. Sounds like Mineral Creek is not bad at all, so we'll climb it next summer in the GX.

Took my stock 00 LC this summer to CO and did the Alpine loop, Black Bear, etc... and had no issues with scraping or hitting. Take your time and you should be OK.

The Mineral Creek part isn't bad at all in good weather although much different than the rest of the loop. I believe at least four vehicles rolled off the trail this last summer including a Taco the day after we came through. We encountered several folks that were a little out of their depth and it was clearly taking a toll on their relationships with their significant others😂. It was wet that day and the rock was a little slippery in spots.

You should definitely do it but call the ranger station and find out about soft shoulders and hazards that are affecting the trail the week you happen to go. The only stress we felt was the threat of oncoming traffic in some of the very tight areas where you really don't want to backtrack to find a pullover, for this reason I suggest going midweek and not during any local events. Have fun👍

Thanks for the tips. We should be hitting it on a Monday or Tuesday. If it is wet we'll head down to Silverton and go up through Animas Forks instead. My wife might have to wear a blindfold for some of the trail based on a few of the pictures I found online! There is quite a bit of rocky off-roading around here, but we just don't have the massive drop-offs or trails of that length.

Thanks for the tips. We should be hitting it on a Monday or Tuesday. If it is wet we'll head down to Silverton and go up through Animas Forks instead. My wife might have to wear a blindfold for some of the trail based on a few of the pictures I found online! There is quite a bit of rocky off-roading around here, but we just don't have the massive drop-offs or trails of that length.

I won’t be far off from you, headed to Vegas for Death Valley and Zion for Christmas,

coming back home through Colorado, if ya need the help or anything holler will do what I can.

you’ll enjoy mineral creek, one of my favorites there. Hope the loops still open and not snowed in on ya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom