clutch trouble 2H/H55F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2H/H55F in a 12v, US spec 1988 J62 body. It's been my daily driver for about 7 years now.

The other day, about 5 miles into my 7 mile drive to work, I had a bit of trouble getting into gear. I could get into N, but it didn't want to go into 3 or 2. Eventually, it worked and I got to work. That afternoon, it was worse on the way home and at times I couldn't get it into any gear. Finally, with some bangs, got into 1 and made it home. Since then, the engine starts fine but clutch doesn't engage: I can start in 1 without the clutch depressed.

I changed my clutch fluid because it was terribly gross, but no improvement.

I have about 8mm free play at the clutch pedal, but I need to measure pedal height.

I replaced the booster, master cylinder, and slave cylinder about 4 years ago and have not had trouble since then. I replaced the booster because it was making a squealing sound every time I depressed the pedal.

Most recently, I've had no clutch smells, nothing to indicate trouble. Occasionally, I'd have just a bit of trouble getting into R, but 100% of the time a second try would work, so I never thought about it.

I'm going to drop the slave cylinder and try starting to see if the clutch plate is engaging.

I'm in Fayetteville, NC and haven't found a mechanic around here I'm willing to trust, and we're moving soon so I need to get this back up and running soon. I love doing work myself, but I'm not really in a place to run into delays in diagnosis and repair.

Thanks,

Ara Dileepan

How does the pedal feel?
When you cant get it into gear is it because its grinding or it just wont move into the gear?

You need to get eyes on the fork whilst someone presses the clutch pedal.

If the fork is moving, then consider that the two bushings at the base of the gear stick may be flogged out, if thats the case often physically lifting the stick as you attempt to change gear helps.

Sounds hydraulic though - especially if your fluid is nasty.

How does the pedal feel?
Pedal feels no different than ever. It does have a booster and there's a really light squeak, but I figured that was the pivot. Multiple pumps on the clutch while engine is off do not make it terribly difficult to press, though. However, maybe a loose alternator belt is preventing the vacuum pump from generating enough vacuum?

When you cant get it into gear is it because its grinding or it just wont move into the gear?
No grinding except for R. For the other gears, the stick feels like it hits a barrier.
You need to get eyes on the fork whilst someone presses the clutch pedal.

If the fork is moving, then consider that the two bushings at the base of the gear stick may be flogged out, if thats the case often physically lifting the stick as you attempt to change gear helps.
The fork does move when the pedal is pressed, but I don't know if it moves enough or if there's too much pre-load and it's been wearing the friction plate. . I need to find that spec. I'm going to remove the slave and try to start in 1 to see if the clutch engages then.
Sounds hydraulic though - especially if your fluid is nasty.
I've flushed and bled it but there's no change.

Is the transmission stuck in 1st and the shifter stick wont budge, or is it that you can move the shifter stick through all the gates when not running and when running the clutch does not engage, not allowing a gear change?

gb

Is the transmission stuck in 1st and the shifter stick wont budge, or is it that you can move the shifter stick through all the gates when not running and when running the clutch does not engage, not allowing a gear change?

gb
The latter. Shifter is not stuck, can go through the gates with no issue when engine is off. When running, slides into 1 and 2 with no issues but needs jiggling to get into 3, 4, 5, and R.

Just dropped the slave and still no power to the wheels. That indicates to me that the clutch needs to be replaced. But I'll pull the inspection cover to check. First, can anyone tell me where to find the inspection cover?

I think my issue is pedal/pushrod adjustment. I dropped the slave and the clutch worked (tried starting in 1 and it lurched). I bled and reinstalled the slave and doing so put a lot of preload on the clutch fork.

Pedal feels good and seems to get good booster assist, so I think my way forward is to adjust the pedal height and the booster pushrod.

Clutch engagement, okay. Was going to suggest checking the shift tower pins, bushing seat and cup. But sounds like you have a path forward.

Link to discussion and parts I am referencing.

hth's
gb

Here's my fork movement. Looks like only about 1/2" movement. So it seems to me that the clutch pedal is not disengaging the clutch enough to change gears successfully.

Does that sound right? So now I have to adjust the slave pushrod, the booster pushrod, and the pedal.

The fact that it moves and there's no leak of fluid suggests to me the master and slaves are in good order and don't need replacement.

PXL_20230217_175845056~2.jpg

PXL_20230217_175842462~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom