Close call w/ rattlesnake in ABSP (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We did not see any signs to keep out anywhere along the tracks. This was the most crowded we saw all day in the Carrizo Gorge area and saw between 10-15 hikers on the tracks. Maybe since it was Saturday they were not checking the tracks or running the trains.

I knew that the Carrizo Gorge railroad company started running trains again in 2004 but did not know it was illegal to walk along the tracks.

Do you have a link to the law?

interesting, is this true of all railroad tracks?

And so, Mr. Legality, how d' you get the last picture, exactly? :)

A couple of weeks before they started giving tickets to people we walked the tracks.
I personally do not care if anybody walks the tracks. It would prove to be interesting in some of the tunnels. Not much room in a few of them if a train happened to come by.
http://www.anzaborrego.net/Travel/AnzaBorrego/page/Hiking-to-Anza-Borrego-s-Goat-Canyon-Trestle-.aspx

http://www.cgrp.us/files/Press_122608.pdf

http://www.cgrp.us/files/Press_122608.pdf

Carrizo Gorge Railway Reopening to Through-Traffic
To: Cheryl Reiff
Subject: Railroad Activity in Carrizo Gorge

Cheryl,
I am the General Manager of the Mexican portion of the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railway. We have been working for the past year on the US portion of the line in the Carrizo Gorge to clear tunnel blockages due to fires. We will have the last tunnel cleared by the end of November. We anticipate having work trains passing through the Gorge at any time of the day or night and by next spring, we will have freight train at the rate of four a day in both directions. The rail line in the Gorge has been out of service for the past 20 years and many outdoor-oriented persons have become accustomed to the Gorge being accessible along the railroad since it lies within the State Park. The right of way, however, is not park land and has been posted against trespass but the number of persons hiking into the Gorge now presents a hazard.
I would ask that you place a notice in your Chapter newsletter concerning the renewed rail freight traffic on the line. Our Railroad Police will soon start citing trespassers and we will prosecute criminally and civilly, anyone encountered along the right of way who is there without authorization. The 16 tunnels in the Gorge do not have escape pockets and anyone in the tunnel when a train passes places themselves at great risk.
Regards,
R. Mitchel Beauchamp
619-477-5333

train wreck.jpg
tunnel.jpg

I was lucky enough to go up the gorge in a speeder with the Carrizo Railway guys . The trestle was built in the early 30's after a landslide took out the original tunnel. The tunnel after the trestle is 2500 feet long. It's amazing that they tunneled this, through solid rock, from both ends and met in the middle back when survey was using chains. I would not want to be there with a train.
me.jpg
me_0001.jpg
me_0002.jpg

It is true that it's illegal. You have to go up the trail on the south side to do it legally. That's how we did it last year when we hiked it. Its the tougher way to go instead of just walking the rails out. Some took the tunnel/rails back to camp and never had a problem. We also were with some special people to where if someone had a problem we'd radio a BP helo to come talk about it :D

We were there last month and had planned to hike up Carrizo Gorge from the north end to access Goat Canyon after checking out the pictographs.

Very slow going and the trail basically disappears after a few miles.
That being said we scaled the ridge up to the tracks and hiked to the trestle.

There were signs that they were working on portions of the track, probably due to that Mexicali quake a while back?

Didn't see any railroad police but I am not sure I would hike in along the tracks again after hearing all the railroad police stories.
Like was said previously the "legal" route would be from Mortero Palms or up Goat Canyon from Carrizo Gorge which is basically a huge dry waterfall :frown:.

Bob
IMG_0916_1.jpg

Anza Borrego | Anza-Borrego Desert State Park - Goat Canyon Trek

Last edited:
Im amazed in the 20+ years of that line being closed and the amount of "traveler's" who used to go through there that the trestles never were burned.

Nearest ER is Brawley, Indio or Escondido, no hospital in Borrego.

IIRC there's a small clinic in Borrego Springs. After my heart attack last October I looked into ER's etc in the area just on the hope that I'd be able to go to Borregofest (Outdoor Adventure get together). Nothing big enough for me to risk going that's for sure!

I was lucky enough to go up the gorge in a speeder with the Carrizo Railway guys . The trestle was built in the early 30's after a landslide took out the original tunnel. The tunnel after the trestle is 2500 feet long. It's amazing that they tunneled this, through solid rock, from both ends and met in the middle back when survey was using chains. I would not want to be there with a train.

Hey HooDoo
How did you manage to take the trip on the Speeder?
My wife and I have said that would be a great way to see the trestle.
Thx,
Bob

I found this guy on my porch. Almost stepped on him. Don't think he enjoyed the BBQ as much as we did though.

photo-1.jpg

IIRC there's a small clinic in Borrego Springs. After my heart attack last October I looked into ER's etc in the area just on the hope that I'd be able to go to Borregofest (Outdoor Adventure get together). Nothing big enough for me to risk going that's for sure!

Its a daytime only Doc in a box clinic, not a ER, anything bigger gets a Mercy Air or REACH flight to Desert Regional, Eisenhower or Scrips/UCSD.........I did that route for a while, I dont like things that dont glide anymore.

Hey HooDoo
How did you manage to take the trip on the Speeder?
My wife and I have said that would be a great way to see the trestle.
Thx,
Bob

Several years ago my wife worked on a documentary about Speckles building the line from S.D. to the Imperial Valley where it ties into the Southern Pacific. At that time the Carrizo Railroad guys were splitting away from the Campo Railway museum.
They put a lot of money and effort into clearing and daylighting tunnels that were collapsed to put out fires. The thought was Teamsters started the fires because of rail vs. trucking revenues?
As mentioned before they are running some freight. They are also bringing sand from Mexico across at Tecate for Hanson Aggregate.
Their ultimate goal was to raise enough money to build a spur line to the mega port proposed for Baja. I don't know were that now stands.
As I recall the tunnels are just a bit low to run intermodal train cars, so they need to lower the tracks through the tunnels for full capacity operations.
They have a small service area in Jacumba where you can see their Model A bus speeder they run down from the top.
Sorry no insight on future trips, it was a great ride.

John

Last edited:
Thanks.
Sounds like you know a lot about the history of the rail line.
It is a pretty crazy story.

Bob
Several years ago my wife worked on a documentary about Speckles building the line from S.D. to the Imperial Valley where it ties into the Southern Pacific. At that time the Carrizo Railroad guys were splitting away from the Campo Railway museum.
They put a lot of money and effort into clearing and daylighting tunnels that were collapsed to put out fires. The thought was Teamsters started the fires because of rail vs. trucking revenues?
As mentioned before they are running some freight. They are also bringing sand from Mexico across at Tecate for Hanson Aggregate.
Their ultimate goal was to raise enough money to build a spur line to the mega port proposed for Baja. I don't know were that now stands.
As I recall the tunnels are just a bit low to run intermodal train cars, so they need to lower the tracks through the tunnels for full capacity operations.
They have a small service area in Jacumba where you can see their Model A bus speeder they run down from the top.
Sorry no insight on future trips, it was a great ride.

John

I've seen a lot of baby rattle snakes the last 2 years. Not sure why, but have only seen one full grown Pacific (3' ish) and maybe 5 less than 14". I use to not care that much, but with dogs its a real problem. We get them snake avoidance training, but who knows. A dog doesnt weigh as much as we do and usually take it right on the face.

Anyway, I hiked to the trestle back in 2004. Walking across that thing was a trip. Ended up hiding from a train on my way up. I jumped over a berm and took this shot after it passed me by. Never heard the sound of a train track making noise before that, I thought it was a plane for some reason:doh: haha, I remember looking into the sky thinking where the hell is that plane? OH ####
101_0147 copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom