Clink in Drivetrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having a nagging clink in my FJ60 drivetrain when starting out in gear and/or baking up. Rear differential totally rebuilt to spec and universals replaced with OEM. Shifts and drives fine with no vibrations. Stock four speed with 190K.
I’m leaning toward the transmission - what can wear out ?

Before the following work, I had no "clink" in the driveshaft under all circumstances. After I was done, occasionally I'd get a loud "clink" when backing up or starting to get going.
I had rebuilt the transfer case to spec and rebuilt the driveshafts with new Toyota parts - but when it was all out back together- occasionally I'd hear a clink.

My guess as to what that sound is is the rear driveshaft suddenly shifting a tiny bit, causing it to ring out like that. All my driveshaft bolts and nuts were tightened to spec- but the sound sometimes came back.
If you tap the rear driveshaft with a screwdriver or flick it with your fingernail, you can make a similar sound, so the sound is definitely eminatting from the driveshaft.

I just ignored it

Before the following work, I had no "clink" in the driveshaft under all circumstances. After I was done, occasionally I'd get a loud "clink" when backing up or starting to get going.
I had rebuilt the transfer case to spec and rebuilt the driveshafts with new Toyota parts - but when it was all out back together- occasionally I'd hear a clink.

My guess as to what that sound is is the rear driveshaft suddenly shifting a tiny bit, causing it to ring out like that. All my driveshaft bolts and nuts were tightened to spec- but the sound sometimes came back.
If you tap the rear driveshaft with a screwdriver or flick it with your fingernail, you can make a similar sound, so the sound is definitely eminatting from the driveshaft.

I just ignored it
Ditto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom