Chopped tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took the '99 in to get the tires balanced this afternoon. The girl called me to say it's ready and that the tech said the tires are chopped, so they may still have some vibration. WTF? I asked to speak to him but she said he was at lunch.

What does this mean, and what should I look for when I go to pick it up? I don't think it's alignment, it tracks fine. She said I can talk to him when I go pick it up.

most likely they mean the tires are cupped on the outside edges...common problem on many IFS vehicles.

solution? rotate frequently...like every oil change or 5000 miles (whichever is less)

Also possible your front shocks are weak....is it lifted with that front bumper, or still stock torseins/shocks?

still stock torseins/shocks, the TJM doesn't weight much. I have been bad about rotating them, I'll start doing that often. Thanks.

Almost every problem with tires the FSM says can be caused by weak shocks. Did you get your tires roadforce balanced ?

NMuzj100 said:
Almost every problem with tires the FSM says can be caused by weak shocks. Did you get your tires roadforce balanced ?

No, just regular. They are rolling great though. Changed the oil and geve her a bath last night. Then took her for a spin up to 80 mph with no hint of vibration. I had the tech show me what he was calling "chopped" tires and I think he was full of it. I think they were trying to get an alignment out of me.

WRT the shocks, it may be time. I've got 85k miles now so maybe I'll do the shocks around the time of the 90k service in about 6 months or so.

Anyway, I will rotate now with each oil change in case there's something to what he was saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom