Choice between 2 100s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My quest for a good hundy may be close to an end. After several near buys, I've been pretty choosy looking for both s good price on a rig in the right condition and with a good history. It seems I have 2 good prospects, both were with the original owner until last year and neither have been used much or at all off road and both are from low rust environments.

2000 LX with less than 150k. It has with a decent carfax history. Condition is good. I originally passed because the front bearings were run dry after the difference plug wasn't put back right. The front axle has now been reworked. A few minor cosmetic things, but easy to iron out.

Vs

2004 LC with 200k miles but complete records going back to purchase showing great maintenance history. For $2 to 3k more depending on the final deal.

The LX has AHC, which I like and am willing to maintain: my mom has a hard time climbing in even my stock height 80 w 33s but running boards, and I am too often in low parking garages. it also has the non-nav stereo, which is a big plus for upgrading sound someday.

I think the miles in the LC are a wash or perhaps even better than the LX due to records and history. The LC also has the better tranny 5spd with lower failure rate. The middle gear will make towing over high passes a little more pleasant. But it has factory nav, which I don't especially like.

Both rigs need to still pass muster with my mechanic, but assuming they're equally serviceable, I plan to purchase one or the other this weekend.

I've come to think of the LX vs LC as pretty much equal, each with relatively minor pros and cons, once you settle the suspension, and there are other threads that hash that out.

I'm interested in opinions of which of these particular vehicles, based on this info, would you buy? Valuing miles vs records, 4spd vs 5spd, nav vs no nav, etc.

If it were me, I would definitely avoid the AHC, get regular suspension and get your mom a step stool, or the oem side steps... will be a smarter move on many levels in the future.

Hehe. I did carry a folding step stool for my mom in my lifted 62. There was no way she got in otherwise. AHC is expensive to fix. I'm willing to pay for restoring the system, accumulators, etc. Like buying expensive shocks, but gives me a lift on demand and makes some situations easier. I'm also alright with springs and airbags for the rear, but I like AHC enough that it doesn't scare me.

I forgot to mention that both have had the TB and water pumps done within 20k.

I think the sweet spot in these rigs is 2003 - 2005. If I could get the 2004 for $12K - $14K, I would buy that one.

I did have some choice between LX and LC. Price was comparable but the fact LX has the AHC and horror stories I have heard on that, I kind of leaned towards LC with reg suspension. Depends on how much it is, I would lean towards the LC with good service history. Make sure the underbody has manageable rust as well. Open all windows and test drive to see if you hear any squeak, rattle, grind, clunk, or anything.

If you really like the AHC, hold out for that. There really aren't any "horror" stories with the system, the parts are just pricey if you have a wallet like mine. If you have a big wallet and that expectation, then no big deal.

I use my AHC all the time, lowering to hook trailers, load stuff in back, kids, parents. And the high mode is nice if you need a little extra clearance. But there will come a day when I'll spend the $2-3k it costs to replace AHC parts on a lift & tires, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts (and the links to CL finds -- they look nice.)

Thought I'd post an update. I have gotten the recent service rocords for the 2000 LX. The history is no where near complete like the 04, but he had a lot of good maintenance in the last year, baselineing type stuff, and the front axle has fresh bearings and seals. That, it has AHC, and I can get it for 3k less than the 04 LC.

I prefer the LC badge and the 5spd but I really don't like the Nav, like some feel about AHC. I like the AHC and I like $3k in my pocket. Unless someone talks some sense to me and changes my mind, I'm going to drive the LX again tomorrow. If it checks out, I'll drive it home. If not, then maybe I'll convince myself that the nav isn't so bad and take another close look at the 04 LC or this:

Yesterday, a fella in Seattle posted his 99 LX with 68k listed fof $15.5. That is pretty attractive: 50% of the miles for a 50% more. Story is that it was some dude's garage baby in a vacation home in Colorado. Seller has had it for about a year and is selling to buy a Porsche. Carfax has no significant history on it, good or bad. The interior pictures support the miles, looks new. It's really hard to pass on. It is very inconvenient to check out (4 hour drive), no rear locker or traction control (I've come around to wanting aTrac), the weak front diff and no budget left for a locker anytime soon because it will take 2 years longer to payoff. But for anyone following this thread that is interested: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4726896995.html

Hmmm, I'd look close at the low mile LX, seems like a good deal if it's negotiable a bit. But keep in mid all the maintenance coming up on it.

I pulled the trigger on the 2000 this weekend. I'm happy with my purchase and building a list of things to do.

It was a close call whether to buy the low miles 99. In fact, we talked about buying them both and just being an all LX family, but that seems like overkill.

Anyway, here is my new ride. Runs and drives as pretty as it looks. I love the ride especially after ditching the knobby MTs for some good grippy AT-Ms.

1414994515227.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom