Chili challenge still on! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hadn't seen anyone post this, but I saw an article that the Chili challenge was able to continue. TThere is one big change though:

"Unregistered vehicles, people, and spectators will NOT be allowed on the trails or in the canyons during the 2009 Chile Challenge. Only registered participants, their vehicles, and registered passengers will be allowed on the trails. In addition, the public will NOT have access to the (previously available) spectator areas."

Chile Challenge

Feb 18 - 21.

How are they planning to keep the public (aka spectators) from public land?

How are they planning to keep the public (aka spectators) from public land?

You have to have a Trail sticker on your vehicle. It's an agreement with the BLM. I'm not sure if they will have some officials/law enforcement monitoring it, or if it is up to the club.

But it's public land, and established trails. Are they planning to close the entire area to the public for the duration of the event? I doubt it...

But it's public land, and established trails. Are they planning to close the entire area to the public for the duration of the event? I doubt it...

They have a parade permit, just like the Red Rock 4Wheelers have for EJS in Moab and Mark Smith has for Jeep Jamboree on the Rubicon.

Steve have you had a chance to go down to the Chile Challenge before? There are usually hundreds of spectators from Las Cruces out on Patzcuarros on Saturday and they have no regard for safety or nature. They are usually standing behind vehicles trying to scale the dry waterfalls and leave trash all over the place. I personally don't see this as a bad thing.

Yep, I went to Chile Challenge last year but didn't do any extreme trails.

My point, however, is that any other weekend I, Joe Public, can go out there and have a picnic or do whatever. How are they going to prohibit me from doing that on the weekend of the Chile Challenge if I'm not associated with it?

As far as the trash, if they had some rangers or whatever the BLM cops are called out there writing e.g. $250 tickets for littering they wouldn't have that problem, and they could make the federal govt some money off of the social derelicts that do that too...

Yep, I went to Chile Challenge last year but didn't do any extreme trails.

My point, however, is that any other weekend I, Joe Public, can go out there and have a picnic or do whatever. How are they going to prohibit me from doing that on the weekend of the Chile Challenge if I'm not associated with it?

As far as the trash, if they had some rangers or whatever the BLM cops are called out there writing e.g. $250 tickets for littering they wouldn't have that problem, and they could make the federal govt some money off of the social derelicts that do that too...

I only saw this issue on the extreme trails that had easy access for spectators. And you make a good point about enforcing current laws, I think that would work as well.

I just got back from the Chile Challenge. The weather was perfect and I saw some really nice Toyotas there. A couple of FJ80s, a bunch of tubed out pickups, and some FJ40s. One of the 40s had a 4BT in it and worked really well, the guy was from Deming. I ran Broad Canyon on Friday and Rocotillo Rapids on Saturday.

m_D6FS1403.jpg

m_D6FS1404.jpg

m_D6FS1472.jpg

m_IMG_0555.jpg

m_IMG_0566.JPG

Two years ago I only saw one vehicle (a single seat comp buggy) complete Nemesis II on Patzcurro's Revenge without winching. This year the climb is at least four feet higher and there is a huge slab at the bottom that prevents a straight approach. I didn't hear of anyone making it unassisted this year.

m_D6FS1418.jpg

There were BLM and Sheriff Deputies out in force, and they were limiting the number of spectators in an effort to limit impact and trash. When the spectators would show up on the trail all of sudden there were cans and wrappers all over the place. :( There were a TON of people out there and I picked up all the trash I could.

Great pictures Harry! Thanks for sharing the trip with us. I have only been to Chile Challenge once back in 2003, but I really enjoyed it. Every time since then, I've had conflicts with scheduling. But I would love to get back down there.

It looks like your truck is set up perfectly for those trails. :cheers:

Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom