Chevron Delo 400 rating OK for FZJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I have read here in the past that Cary in particular was recommending the Delo 400 as a very good oil to use in our FZJs. So I had pretty much decided to use that one, but looking at it at Costco, though, I saw that the packaging does not carry any of the usual S ratings. So I went and looked at the Chevron site and there also did not see any of the ratings applicable to gasoline engines. Most of what they discuss there and all the ratings I saw were for Diesel engines.
Sooo, before I go and buy a box of the thing for my 80, I thought I should confirm this: is this oil rating (CI-4+ IIRC) sufficient/appropriate for gasoline engines as well? IOW, OK to use for sure?
TIA
E

Chevron said:
• API Service Categories
— CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4 (SAE 10W-30)
— CF, CD1, SG1, SH1
SL (SAE 10W-30, 20, 30, 40, 50),
SJ (SAE 10W-30)

— CE1 (SAE 30)

Chevron Delo 400 oils are mixed-fleet motor oils recommended
for all four-stroke gasoline ** diesel engines operating
under severe service and subjected to wide
variations in climatic conditions.

Chevron Delo 400 oils are excellent for use in new
advanced engines developed in response to 1998 lower
exhaust particulate emissions with features such as fourvalve
heads, turbocharging, retarded fuel injection timing,
direct injection, shorter piston crowns, higher power
density, peak firing pressures up and beyond 2300 psi,

** I think there was intended to be an "or" there but took the quote with TypeO just in case.

Note that it is not specked for the brand new SM grade, it may just not have been tested for it yet or it may not meet it, our 1fz's were made long before SM was, some over at BITOG think SM was a downgrade from our perspective (EPA BS) other think it was an upgrade. I don’t know.

Sorry I cannot post a link, it is all dynamic pages and java script ( I hate that :mad: ). But go to chevrons site and surf to the oils sections and then click on the "data sheets" link on the left, enter delo 400 in the search box. There is a good 2 page sheet with all the tech data you will want.

The API "doughnut" on the bottle should have this info also.

Last edited:
I bow to the Master!
I did indeed fail to see these data sheets on the Chevron site.
Yup! Sure enough the 15W40 is rated up to SL.
Man, that stuff looks great! Too bad Costco seems to carry only the 15W40, not the 10W30...

thanks RT, very nice info!
E

e9999 said:
I bow to the Master!
I did indeed fail to see these data sheets on the Chevron site.
Yup! Sure enough the 15W40 is rated up to SL.
Man, that stuff looks great! Too bad Costco seems to carry only the 15W40, not the 10W30...

thanks RT, very nice info!
E

I was running the Delo for about a year. Seem to work fine to me. But yes the 10W-30 is hard to come by and the 15W-40 may be a little heavy to run in the winter. You'd probably have to go through a local distributor to find the 10W-30. This winter I switched to the Mobil Driven Clean Plus Entended Mileage (now labeled as Mobil 7500). It's similar in price to the Delo, and as Cary has mentioned, has some of the benefits of synthetic, at a Dino price, and also has your seal swellers in it. You might want to give it a look see too.

Rookie2

Rookie2 said:
I was running the Delo for about a year. Seem to work fine to me. But yes the 10W-30 is hard to come by and the 15W-40 may be a little heavy to run in the winter. You'd probably have to go through a local distributor to find the 10W-30. This winter I switched to the Mobil Driven Clean Plus Entended Mileage (now labeled as Mobil 7500). It's similar in price to the Delo, and as Cary has mentioned, has some of the benefits of synthetic, at a Dino price, and also has your seal swellers in it. You might want to give it a look see too.

Rookie2

where do you get this stuff cheap?

e9999 said:
where do you get this stuff cheap?

IIRC, Wolly World sales the Mobil 7500 for $2.18/QT and the gallon jugs of the Delo worked out to $1.75/QT.

Rookie2, what viscosity are you using of the Mobil 7500? Does your truck consume any oil between changes? If so, how much.

Thanks

Andrew

If you are looking for a HDEO that is affordable,well regarded and dual (gas and diesel) rated I would look into the Shell Rotella T - Synthetic. It is a Group III Synthetic and in the 5W-40 Rating should be good for cold weather. I see it at Walmart for $13 a Gallon.

I use the same as Rookie 2 in a 10w30 version...Walmart has it for around $2 a quart...I get no oil consumption between changes but I have never had any oil consumption between changes since I have owned mine (about 3 oil changes worth all with different brands)....i think im going to stick with the mobil drive clean 7500 but change it at around 4000 mile intervals just to be safe.

I get no oil consumption on trips even over 1,500 miles. But, around town in my daily driving, I get about 1/2 a quart or more in 1,000 miles. I was using truck and SUV mobil 1 and it performed a little better for me then Rotella synthetic which has used 3/4th of a quart in 1,000 miles. Again, I drive very much in bumper to bumper traffic daily. I average about 250-300 miles a week and 95% is stop and go.

I want to get this consumption down so I may experiment with different oils.

Thanks

Andrew

I bought my 80 in August and immmediately switched to M1 5w30.

I used that at 4K intervals through the winter and the past two oil changes I have switched up to Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40. I had no consumption issues previously--either in town or on the long road--but I wanted to get some different oil data points based on the extended threads here. Raven had used it to no real benefit, but I wanted to give it a try too, especially considering it was about $7 a gallon....Shell Rotella Synth is harder to find in the midwest, at least where I am in Ohio.

I've ran Mobil Delvac 1300 for two oil changes now and I've experienced the following:

1. Higher pressure running both in the city and on the long road after warm up. That's to be expected with the thicker oil.

2. My start-up RPM's have dramatically lowered: Initial start-up now goes to about 1300RPMS and then goes down real quick to about 750 RPMS in about 2 minutes and right down to normal idle (~600-650 RPMS), in under 4 minutes of start up. NO start up rattle, awkward sounds etc.

In any event, I'm going to try Shell Synth Rotella for the next two to see what the deal is, and then maybe go back to a Mobil 1...not sure yet, but willing to try different combinations at this point with 140K on the ticker.

best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Andrewsreef said:
Rookie2, what viscosity are you using of the Mobil 7500? Does your truck consume any oil between changes? If so, how much.

Thanks

Andrew

I run the 10w-40 in the Mobil Drive Clean Plus. I'll have to check on the comsumption, and how long I've had it in. I think before, I was using about 1 1/2 quarts between 5k changes.

My tendency is to thing that it will consume a little more than the Delo, because of the more synthetic like qualities.

Last edited:
well, I broke down and got the 15W40 Delo 400 at Costco. No Wally nearby. Figured should be perfect for the SW weather and desert runs in the summer. We'll see. Hope it does not decrease my mpg too much...

Rookie2 said:
Why do you thing that it could??

higher viscosity, more friction losses...

e9999 said:
higher viscosity, more friction losses...

I wouldn't worry about that. I got mid to high 14's in mixed driving. Delo's a good dino, I won't have any reservation about using it if I were you.

BTW AndrewsReef, it's been 1400 miles since my last oil change, and I can't see any appreciable amount of consumption, from looking at the dipstick. You should definitely give it a shot. Make sure to get the high vehicle mileage version, cause it has the seal sweller additive.

I just started using Delo 400. I want to see if my consumption stays the same as with the RotellaT Syn.
With the RotellaT I would go 3000mi add 1 qt, go 1500mi and add 1qt, go another 1000mi and add 1qt.
I sent in an UOA to see how the oil is holding up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom