Check out this old burring machine! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
An old manual burring machine for tin or coppersmithing. They don't make them like that any more... (That's what she said... :) )

Will be trying to restore this to its former glory if I ever have time. If I can get through the 25 coats of paint, that is.

If you're curious, I saw it listed at $10 new...

...in a 1910 catalog. I could not find the union scale rate for tinsmiths, but I found that a machinist would make around 30 to 40c / hr that year in the US. So about 25 or 30 hours of work' worth. If you think of a machinist today that makes $30 to $40 / hr, that machine would then be the equivalent of $1,000 today for him.

ZVE00944.JPG

ZVE00946 - 2.jpg

Neat stuff. Had to look up what that does. I'd have assumed it was a beader. I have a motor driven Pexto beader that looks a lot like that. I got it from a friend that's had it since the 50's and it was old when he got it. We still run production parts on it and the parts we run on it are thicker material than it was designed for.

Yup, a beader is very close, just different wheels (and much bigger throat presumably). So are turning and wiring machines. Interestingly, mine is a P S &W, the ancestor of Pexto IIRC. I'm pretty impressed at the number of adjustments possible, actually. Seems fully functional, beside the painted over depth adjustment screw.
Found the patent for it, was called a Flanging machine. 1867. Inventor: a Mr. Orson Stow, of Peck Stow and Wilcox fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom