check engine light on/turbo light off. engine wont turn off! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my lj78 prado circa 1996(?) wont turn off!
it has the 2lte engine with auto.

Only way i can stop it is by disconnecting the fuel solenoid at the injector pump.

when i turn the key off all dash lights die but it keeps running. you can even rev it. with the key on and idling normally the check engine light is red. and theres no turbo light (before it was on & green).

this has only happened after I relocated the power steering reservoir and replaced the hoses. while doing this I also shortened the fuel input hose going to the fuel filter. (since then i cracked open each injector line to let any air out with the engine idling).

I cant see any plugs that are disconnected under the hood around where Ive been working. all grounds there appear to be ok.

another thing I did was remove the ecu and checked for damaged caps (I have a down shifting problem in the auto). everything looked fine there and i plugged it all back in after spraying the 3 ecu plugs with contact cleaner. wiring loom there looked ok. (although it is a LHD local conversion with pretty rough wiring).

ive tested the plug at the solenoid when the cars switched totally off and key removed. im getting 12v at the black with red trace wire (with neg probe on tester to groung at battery).

Im assuming its not a bad cut off solenoid because of the constant 12v at the plug.

can anyone give any advise here?

i could probably chop the wire going to the solenoid and wire it to ign switch maybe with a relay but dash lights would still be incorrect

in the meantime ill google how to check the engine light codes...

thanks guys

20180531_112905_Film3.jpg

im getting faults:
5 flashes then a pause then 4 flashes
when i checked up this is:
5: correction resistance pump
4: coolant temp sensor

im guessing its 2 separate codes not 54 that doesnt exist.

also as ive been reading that what I thought was a fuel cut off solenoid is called an electronic spill valve.
if this has a specific resistance from the ecu could i damage it by hot wiring it to the ign?

another thing. the wires on the spill valve plug are black and red. where they plug in the "live" wire from the loom its red with black trace. it plugs into the valves black wire.
just seems strange that the looms 'hot' side doesnt go to the valves red wire, but to the black. im sure many things have been changed on this old girl though and correct parts are hard to find

20180531_160122_Film3~2.jpg

thanks oz cruiser. good info mate.

only problem is the batterys dying over a day or so. im guessing the ecu is somehow still powered up.
theres no lights on anywhere. no radio etc.
next thing ill try doing is pulling fuses until she cuts out... then go from there.
maybe check for drain at the batt terminal after the engines shut down.
been about 3 days since letting her sit as ive been crook with a killer flu. fellin a bit better today so thought id get back into it. fuel valve was left disconnected, now batteries flat. sadly im guessing this is probably due to the dodgy LHD conversion!

its really irritating me. spent so much time on this old girl already. grrrrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom