Events/Trails Charouleau Gap 6/2/20 to test my new Yokohama’s! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put some new rubber on my 80 and looking to break it in a little bit. I was thinking about running Charouleau Gap from Catalina to Oracle because I’ve never done it before. Tuesday is my day off so that is when it might happen.

Open invite to anyone looking to rock it through this trail. I am not looking to go too slow. Rock it = rocket. 80 with 3”lift and 35’s. Planning on a “3 hour tour”. But I really don’t know how long it will take. I’ve heard 5-6 hours. Probably planning on leaving trailhead around 8 or 9.

I just got the Yokohama M/T’s and want to get them dirty. My old Mickey Thompsons were about 13 years old so I’m expecting a nice boost in performance!

I did it in the fall with 3" lift and 33's. That was all I really ever want to get my rig into. Killer trail, but I am gunna think twice about running it again. Best wishes there, post up some pics on the big gap feature and of the big ledge feature by the creek. Have fun.

I did it a month ago in my 80. 33s. No lockers. It’s 6 hours or so if you have no issues. The car wash scraped up my axle housings a bit.
35s would be better.

So I got stuck, but only because Toad would die every time I put it in reverse!
2ADABE85-B806-4C39-8FB5-6E01972A283B.jpeg

I stacked a rock and was able to drive out forward. But then Toad started dying in drive as well!
2E5B6533-9834-453C-85EC-0613641F9EB2.jpeg

Anybody have one of these. I’m guessing reverse was separating it faster. Then when I got unstuck it was too much of a gap even in drive.
43611035-63FF-489C-B260-B8FA117DC803.jpeg

Good thing I had duct tape! Is it also a heat shield now?!
340FEB54-4B53-4D1D-A02D-CCE3A8669BBC.png

made it out to Oracle!

Great pace on that run! I can't remember, did you run the return trip with me from Turkey Creek back up Rug Road last time?

Awesome, I thought I knew your rig when I saw it in the pic. So, you finally swapped out the million mile muddies. You got your money out of those suckers.

Charouleau Gap is my new favorite trail! I need to get out more.
Well I give a thumbs up to the Yokohama M/T’s. They took everything I threw at them. Plenty of grip and flex. Durable and round. Discount’s wheel weights even stayed in place. Now let’s see if they last more than a decade like my Mickey Thompsons did. The stock wheels seem to rub the tires more. I went from a +12mm offset to the stock 0 offset so they stick out a little bit more. Or maybe because the tires have so much rubber on them. Yes, the era of Chinese checkers wheels is done.
B989AD24-7FE1-4CC4-9B97-9A093A74145C.jpeg
0ECE961F-16AF-4D68-8F5A-2ADA06295A5D.jpeg

Now it is supposed to be a fun evening of sealing a leaky front third member and birf repack and new brakes and rotors all around. That has been planned for a little while. But today my brake booster decided to give up the ghost along with the intake tube. So I just added brake booster to the list too.

I ordered a $22 Amazon China special air tube for my 80, it has been holding up great. I got 6 years out of a taped up stock one. I would have replaced it sooner, but I forgot it was taped up. 10 mil plumbers tape looks almost factory...

10 mil pipe wrap is the bomb.

I think the camera kept overheating and shutting down. I never got a video over 60 seconds. This is all the footage I got on this obstacle. Then I gave up on recording.

No spotter and first time on the trail made me a little nervous here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom