Center Diff Lock light blinking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 GX with 100K miles, never been off road. I had this problem last summer and backing up made it go away. Today I was informed that the light has been blinking the last four days. The diff lock button was probably pushed twice in the past 16+ years. Today I tried backing up several times in 4H and 4L. It appears the diff is stuck in the locked mode. I gave the actuator a few taps with a dead blow hammer and nothing happened. Should I hear any sound when the cdl button is pressed? Could the switch be bad? Is it hard to remove. I checked fuse 50 in the drivers side fusebox and it was OK. I didn't look at under the hood fuses. Used a code scanner and no codes appear. I searched this forum and the internet. I see on youtube where some people remove the actuator by removing the 3 bolts, unplugging the harness and vacuum line. Then rotating the actuator to pull it out. This makes me nervous, I think you could easily ruin the plastic gears. Does the actuator push the shaft in to lock the diff or pull it out? Anyone have any experience with this method? I don't see any evidence of oil leaks from the actuator which other people have seen.
Thanks for your help.

I don't have any experience with this, sorry. Do you have techstream to see if it has stored a trouble code?

It was stuck in locked position. Shift rod is extended out of transfer case. Pushed it in and it unlocked. The gear that drives off the motor was out of place. I don’t think it will shift into lock again and I didn’t try. I was able to time it to get the VSC light off and cdl stopped blinking. There was a good post on a four runner forum about how to set it
BA134EB2-B283-4CC9-A456-D240A24AD1DE.jpeg
F2D36B78-47C6-4AF8-94E9-26522030D1CA.jpeg
8DF56138-3267-4C4B-BF85-09520361A3C4.jpeg

I'm glad you figured it out.

I dont have a locked center diff BUT upon finding this thread I learned that this black box attached to my transfer case is an Actuator?? My LX’s didnt have this.

my “black box” actuator is drippy. Is there a gasket or seal that could be bad?

E3A5D33A-42C5-4B39-B1AE-D4BCB2635363.jpeg

There are a o-rings that seal the actuator to the t-case. They are a known leak source. The "official" repair is to remove the t-case, and split it in half to remove the seals. There are several very good, detailed write-ups on how to replace the o-rings by just removing the actuator. There are also some videos on Youtube showing the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom