CDN m101 rust repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
twitter.com
Found me my dream m101 Canadian a couple weeks ago; super solid and original, very clean, not beat to death. There is an area of concern-- on the outside, "passenger" front-- where there is some severe rust through in the external plate just ahead of the fender.

The tub and sides inside are solid, but clearly something let water in on the outside somehow and ate thru the outside plate at the bottom, close to where it meets the frame. Frame looks clean in that area from below. Question is: anyone had anything like this and know how in depth the repair is?

Sounds like basic sheet metal work. Cut out the bad and replace with new material.

It may be just that simple; its just that in some sections, it looks to be double-walled and was curious how that works. Assuming you just double-wall it when fixing.

Bit o rust... weird, because everywhere else is super solid.

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

That is ugly and rather unusual from what I've seen. And nothing inside the bed. The only places for water intrusion above are the top lip of the bed and the inset folding tie-down in the wall of the bed. The top lip was sprayed inside with an anti-rust wax through the plugs at each corner.

The tiedown is sealed all around with body sealant (looks 3M equavalent to me). Did its seal fail?

Could be it got splashed from the outside with something corrosive?

It's double walled there (the corner reinforcement is a third layer if the problem extends that high inside) so cutting away the already crumbling outside, treating what you find inside and then welding new over sounds like a good start to me.

It is strange; seems to be just on the outside, nothing on the inside and tiedown seal looks good-- def nothing indicating that severe of a problem.

I'll looking around for a trusted metal ninja in Portland to have a look at this; I'll keep this posted with what I find.

I have one of those and have a small spot on all 4 corners. I would be willing to bet that all 4 corners are in similar condition. Unless of course you took those pictures yourself and they are fine and then I would be wrong. The main area I've seen rust on these is the front of the tub where it meets the front wall. The drain holes plug with debris and then water just sits and rusts it out.

SNIPThe main area I've seen rust on these is the front of the tub where it meets the front wall. The drain holes plug with debris and then water just sits and rusts it out.

Chris,
Yep, that's exactly the case with our M101. A few pinholes on the floor of the bed near the front after the sandblasting was through. Got them fixed, plus the trailer is stored in the garage now, so doesn't get puddles left in the front of the bed.

.... plus the trailer is stored in the garage now, so doesn't get puddles left in the front of the bed.

I just built a shed this summer to store mine. Wife thinks I'm crazy but it is worth it.

I drilled bigger holes in the floor of my trailer to let the water drain out.

That rust is odd in the picture. As it's been painted over..too. But it is just metal. Cut and weld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom