Caster and Camber Specs leaf sprung. Any one know what they are? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi All,

I'm having an interesting time diagnosing my insistent pull to the left. I've taken the truck in for an alignment, replaced the spindles, and I'm running relatively brand new tires. The truck pulled to the left with the old tires and old spindles too. The alignment didn't change a thing.

I'm thinking on taking the vehicle to a pro that deals with four wheel drive for shim correction. My lift is 3 years old and I'm using emu and mana-fre 3.5 inch shackles. The pull started about a year ago. I didn't use correction shims when the truck was lifted.

Anyone here know the specs for castor and camber? I'd like to give these to the shop.

Also, I'd love to know about the degree of people's shims if they're running them.

Cheers,

John

You say it started a year ago, but your lift was installed 3 years ago? Did you change anything around the time it started pulling to the left?

My 1984 manual says (assuming a 70/73 series):

Camber: 1* +/- 45′
King pin inclination: 9*30′ +/- 45′
Caster (FJ/BJ 70/73): 1*05′ +/- 1*

It also lists toe-in, and wheel angle if you'd like?

From manual for "Wanders/Pulls" troubleshooting:
- Tires worn or improperly inflated
- Alignment incorrect
- Wheel bearing adjusted too tightly
- Front or rear suspension parts loose or broken
- Steering linkage loose or worn
- Steering gear out of adjustment or broken

Last edited:
What side of the road do you drove on?

We drive on the LH side with RHD vehicles, they gently go left down the camber of the road if you let for of the wheel, thats how they are designed.

My car though will pull a fair bit under brakes which for my car is more a castor issue. Under brakes only though.

Pull is not related to LHD or RHD, it is more due to things like bearing pre-load, brake drag, inflation pressures, loose wheel bearings, worn knuckle bearings, and tires. Many types of tires pull slightly to one side.

Make sure that your rebuildable tie rod ends are tightened to spec.

Caster really only serves to bring the wheel back to centre, but it also prevents the truck from wandering. The stock number is very conservative, and you will have a better driving vehicle if you're in the 3* range.

Camber is built into the housing, and cannot be easily changed.

We usually install 2.5* shims, but that brings caster to pretty much back to the stock numbers. In my BJ74, with longer than stock shackles, I installed 4* shims and it is now about stock for caster.

If all your other things check out, I'd take a close look at your tires. I have had several sets over the years that had distinct pull to one side, and it's very refreshing to now have tires that do not pull at all and are really smooth (M55s in 255 85 R16).

~John

Thanks guys,

Bearings, tie rod ends, steering gear etc are all spec. Tires are interesting. When I run the skinnys there's no issue. It only shows up with the 12.50's. However, my first 12.50 set was a non issue - my second set was fine until about 15000 km and with my third set the issue was immediate.

John,

I'll give you a call and order up the shims.

Thanks

John,

I'll give you a call and order up the shims.

Thanks

I'm working on getting some steel ones made up. Just waiting to hear back about a delivery time from the machine shop.

~john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom