Carolina Beach Camping Changes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RedHeadedStepChild

Proudly wearing my MC1R mutation!
Threads
If anyone's planning on heading to Freeman Park at the North end of Carolina Beach this year, check this article out.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20150220/ARTICLES/150229970/0/search

Quoting from the end of the article

"In a nutshell
Between April 1 and Sept. 30: Sleeping in vehicle and overnight camping allowed only in designated campsites, to be established along dune side of beach between Markers 4 and 26. Reservation required, made on first come, first serve basis, fee will be charged.

Between Oct. 1 and March 31: Sleeping in vehicle and overnight camping allowed anywhere on beach. No fee or reservation required.

All year: Sleeping in vehicle and overnight camping not allowed for more than 14 consecutive days"

Anyway, there it is. I think they're putting the kibosh on Brew Through delivering beer to the beach as well.

EDIT:

I'm a tard. This is all about freeman park. The talk about the beer truck 2.5t, which is not at freeman park AFAIK, had me confused.

The season pass was $100 last year. I bought one and only went 4 times. Day pass was $20.

When I got mine (Early bird by 12/15/14 was $75), the guy at the parking office said they didn't think the increased fees would reduce traffic at all and were hoping to use the extra revenue to keep the the beach a bit cleaner. I suspect he's right on the first, we'll see how they do on the 2nd.

With the increased use of Freeman Park every year since I knew the place existed (20 years ago) as well as the increased population of complete idiots, it doesnt surprise me at all that something had to be done. What they decided on makes sense though. More often than not, the ocean side campers will get a surprise high tide wash over in the middle of the night that drags trash, fire logs, and empty beer cans right into the ocean. Not everyone knows high tide levels in relation to the moon and a spot might seem alright at first. Keeping that strip dedicated to day use makes sense. Additionally, I kinda like the idea of making a reservation for camping and knowing that I actually do have a spot. In the past I was always in a rush to get out on the beach as early as possible to grab the best place I can find. This way you guys can put together an event of sorts and guarantee enough camp space for everyone.

Yeah, the place blew up once the name started. Used to be 4-5 fisherman on the entire strand, and some crazy lifeguards taking the newly acquired Ocean Rescue Yamaha Banshee out for some dune racing... but that's just what I heard. Never took part in any illegal dune riding in my younger years!

I go to Kure... $100 and I get my own spot. 100+ yards between trucks, but I'm sure that won't last, especially with me publicizing it.

If by Kure you mean Ft Fisher State Park. That is an awesome place to find some quiet time. However, if you pull a fishing rod out you will get checked for a fishing license and if you have a beer in your cooler it'll get dumped out. Since fewer and fewer people go there now the sand has gotten nice and deep. Back in the day that part of the beach was unregulated and full of mischief and much more busy than in recent years.

With the increased use of Freeman Park every year since I knew the place existed (20 years ago) as well as the increased population of complete idiots, it doesnt surprise me at all that something had to be done. What they decided on makes sense though. More often than not, the ocean side campers will get a surprise high tide wash over in the middle of the night that drags trash, fire logs, and empty beer cans right into the ocean. Not everyone knows high tide levels in relation to the moon and a spot might seem alright at first. Keeping that strip dedicated to day use makes sense. Additionally, I kinda like the idea of making a reservation for camping and knowing that I actually do have a spot. In the past I was always in a rush to get out on the beach as early as possible to grab the best place I can find. This way you guys can put together an event of sorts and guarantee enough camp space for everyone.

What Burt88 said - had a condo at Carolina Beach right near the entrance to Freeman Park 15 years ago and it was somewhat crazy then - went back a couple of years ago and couldn't believe what it looked like on the beach with certain people and rigs......

Just got an email reminder abotu rule chnge sfrom the good folks in Carolina Beach:

"Hello Jim ,

As you may have heard camping on Freeman Park is a little different this year. Here's a refresher on the rules and regulations so that you can get the most out of this years beach season.

RESERVATIONSCampsites must be reserved from April 1st through September 30th. During this period there is a $10.00 per night fee for a campsite permit. Reservations are on a first come first serve basis. No reservation is needed for camping at the park from October 1st through March 31st. Campers must have a valid Freeman Park access pass and camping permit to camp in the park. Camping permits can only be purchased on-line. Please be sure to print your camping permit prior to arriving at the park. Permits must be posted in the window of one vehicle at the campsite or be available for inspection at the campsite.

CAMPING RULES

• Campsite check-in is at 12:00 pm (noon) on the day of arrival.
  • Campsite checkout is 10:00 am on the day of departure.
  • At least one adult, 18 or older, shall accompany each camping group.
  • No more than two (2) vehicles may be present overnight at a campsite.
  • No more than twelve (12) people can stay in a campsite overnight.
  • No vehicles or equipment may be stationed within ten (10) feet of the sand dune fencing.
  • Walking or driving on the sand dunes is strictly prohibited. Park privileges may be revoked or a civil citation issued for any violation.
  • All vehicles, campfires, and camping equipment must remain within the bounds of the campsite at all times and must not block the travel lane. See below for additional information about campfires.
  • Glass containers are strictly prohibited. It is illegal to possess spirituous liquor and or fortified wine per NC General Statute 18B-301.
  • Trash must be removed by all visitors. A Pack It In, Pack It Out policy is in place. Failure to clean and remove all trash and personal items from campsite will result in a civil citation. See below for additional information.
  • Tents and camping equipment must not be left unattended in a campsite beyond the reservation period. Day tents, canopies, other similar devices, and camping equipment that are left unattended may be removed from the park by the Town of Carolina Beach without notice.
  • Dogs must be on a leash April 1st through September 30th. All owners are responsible for cleaning up after their animal. Please see below for additional details.
  • Only normal camping and beach furniture will be allowed onto Freeman Park. No commonly known household furniture such as couches, chairs, non-inflatable mattress, box springs, etc. are permitted.
  • As a courtesy to other campers, please observe the campground quiet hours. Quiet hours are from 11:00 pm until 7:00 am.
  • Do not attempt to remove or adjust the campsite boundaries markers for any reason.
  • No concealed weapons without a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. NC General Statute 14-415.23 and NC general Statute 14-415.11(C2) shall be enforced.
  • Fireworks are not permit at any time.
  • Camping or sleeping in a vehicle for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days is not allowed.
CAMPFIRES

• Small campfires are allowed Oceanside at Freeman Park starting at Marker 4 and extending north to the end of the park. Campfires must be contained within fire containers no greater than 3 feet wide.
  • Small campfires are allowed in campsites but must be contained within a fire pit or container that may not exceed three (3) feet in diameter. Fire pits are not provided. Visitors must bring in and removed fire pits following its use.
  • No campfires are allowed within 10 feet of the dune or vegetation line.
  • Fires may not be left unattended and must be extinguished with water, not sand. Only natural firewood can be burned. Burning trash, shipping pallets, or construction material is not allowed.
  • All fire remains and debris must be picked up and placed in park provided ASH CANS or removed from the beach. Failure to do so will result in a fine.
  • Camping privileges can be revoked for failure to follow any campfire rules or regulations.
DOGS

• Dogs are allowed in Freeman Park ON A LEASH between April 1st and September 30th.
  • Dogs are allowed in Freeman Park OFF LEASH between October 1st and March 31st so long as they remain under voice command and the owner is within reasonable distance of the pet.
  • The owner(s) of a dog(s) who harm or cause offenses or damages to the public or deposits waste upon public land or property will be held responsible for such action and must immediately clean up the waste.
  • Dog owners must carry a minimum of two plastic bags, or other suitable plastic or paper containers that can be used to clean up and contain dog waste until it can be disposed of in an appropriate container. The bags must be produced and shown upon request.
PACK IN, PACK OUT

Freeman Park is a Trash Free park. Blue trash cans are provided along the beach strand to encourage visitors to pick up trash when it is seen and help us keep the beach clean. All visitors are expected to carry out the refuse they generate and dispose of it properly at home or at another appropriate destination. In order to help visitors to remove their refuse the Town of Carolina Beach Freeman Park Attendants will hand out free trash bags at the entrance to the park and throughout the camping area. By encouraging all visitors to bring out what they bring in we are helping to maintain the beach, protect the environmental resources; including birds, fish and turtles, reduce solid waste in the park, and embracing the ideas of reduce, reuse, and recycle. We all must working together to address trash and littler in Freeman Park to ensure its sustainability for years to come.

We hope all visitors will plan ahead but trash bags are available from the entrance gate attendant and campground staff. If unable to remove trash bags from the park we ask that they be placed in the blue trash cans, not beside them, or deposited into the trash trailers located on the sand at the exit of the park. Please speak with a park attendant if you have any questions or need any additional information.

CANCELLATIONS

Reservations may be canceled up to 48 hours in advance of the check in date and all refunds will be subject to a transaction fee. No refunds will be given if cancellation is made within 48 hours of reservation.

CONTACT

If you have any questions or need any additional information about Freeman Park or the Town’s parking program please feel free to contact the Town of Carolina Beach Parking Office.

The Town of Carolina Beach Parking Office
1204 N. Lake Park Blvd. Suite D
Carolina Beach, NC 28428

910-458-4614"

So, there you have it. All the details in High Def.

I think (hope) these changes will make Freeman Park a nicer (cleaner) place to hang out, without sucking all the fun out.
There are a lot more bins out. The campsites are clearly marked with yellow ropes, there are plenty of concrete ash cans so people can stop burning up the plastic trash cans.

The Po-lees have had more of a presence this year than I've seen in the past... we'll see.

Anyone coming out this way this summer, drop me line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom