Carburetor question? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At Feb's recent BBC mtg, one guy asked another guy who, I believe, was heading to Cruise Moab this April whether or not his rig was carbureted. Moab bound guy said, "Yep, it's carbureted." Felt dumb and didn't immediately ask "Why is that an issue?" Increased vapor lock? I was distracted and maybe got the entire question wrong w/ the question being about a specific trail that was planned at Moab running it w/ a carbureted engine. Anyone have an answer?

At Feb's recent BBC mtg, one guy asked another guy who, I believe, was heading to Cruise Moab this April whether or not his rig was carbureted. Moab bound guy said, "Yep, it's carbureted." Felt dumb and didn't immediately ask "Why is that an issue?" Increased vapor lock? I was distracted and maybe got the entire question wrong w/ the question being about a specific trail that was planned at Moab running it w/ a carbureted engine. Anyone have an answer?

Hey Tom. To quote @reklund5, "Carbs are just a fancy fuel leak!" In other words they can be inconsistent in their performance based on several variables like altitude and angle of the vehicle. The latter being the concerning bit for Moab since you can find yourself at extreme angles that cause bogging or starvation and even spill over. EFI, whether throttle body or direct injection solves all of these issues since the fuel is directed into the intake with high pressure and the computer can adjust for altitude enough to maintain decent performance.

I am sure others in the club smarter than me will have more to say about it, but for dumb amateurs like me all that matters is: "Carb bad. EFI good!"

Hey Tom. To quote @reklund5, "Carbs are just a fancy fuel leak!" In other words they can be inconsistent in their performance based on several variables like altitude and angle of the vehicle. The latter being the concerning bit for Moab since you can find yourself at extreme angles that cause bogging or starvation and even spill over. EFI, whether throttle body or direct injection solves all of these issues since the fuel is directed into the intake with high pressure and the computer can adjust for altitude enough to maintain decent performance.

I am sure others in the club smarter than me will have more to say about it, but for dumb amateurs like me all that matters is: "Carb bad. EFI good!"
Thanks, Tony. I believe carburetors became passe when EFI came on the scene around 1988 or so. Might be wrong on that. BTW, I would hardly call you a "dumb amateur." Anyone like you, who can build (your latest) rig from the tires up, calls for the utmost respect in my book anyway.

Thanks, Tony. I believe carburetors became passe when EFI came on the scene around 1988 or so. Might be wrong on that. BTW, I would hardly call you a "dumb amateur." Anyone like you, who can build (your latest) rig from the tires up, calls for the utmost respect in my book anyway.
I had a LOT of help 🤣

Yeah carbs are dated for sure, but EFI didn’t become “simple” until the last 15 years or so and it is likely at its peak right now with low cost and easy to setup systems like the Sniper, Stealth, and Dominator kits.

I'm not an expert on cars, or injection for that matter, but I have has experience with the carb on my 40 "starving out" on steep obstacles. I haven't seen it to be an issues unless I stall and need to restart. Generally I either back down and make another attempt. When that isn't an option I use the starter to crawl until the engine fires. One of our past presidents used a racing reduction geared starter for just this reason.

I'm not an expert on cars, or injection for that matter, but I have has experience with the carb on my 40 "starving out" on steep obstacles. I haven't seen it to be an issues unless I stall and need to restart. Generally I either back down and make another attempt. When that isn't an option I use the starter to crawl until the engine fires. One of our past presidents used a racing reduction geared starter for just this reason.

Or just get EFI. ;)

I would like to add to this thread as I recently just got my first LC about 3 weeks ago now. A '83 60. The carbs are, already, directly under my sights 🤣 This is my daily driver ya know.

I just put in a new starter as well.

Last night, I drove less than 5 min to the grocery store.. The truck fired up just fine on the way. However, after coming out of the store, the truck would not turn over. I was doing the whole dance as well. Tapping the peddle, choke all the way out. Choke all the way in, and tapping on the peddle etc etc. I was trying every variation of starting I could. (Its a dead flat parking lot as well, no hill) Finally she turned over after about 4 minuets of this.

4 minuets might not be much, but for me, its too much. Simply because, this is my daily driver. Im not just "sunday driving" this thing. I love it, but I need that reliability.

So I also am looking at that Sniper EFI lol. Outside of a EFI system, is there ANYTHING at all we carb'd folk can do for improved reliability?

You need a baseline tune up before you condemn the carb. If they ur ignition system is bad, no other fix will save you. There are tons of things this could be, systematic troubleshooting is the only way to be sure your not wasting parts and time.

You need a baseline tune up before you condemn the carb. If they ur ignition system is bad, no other fix will save you. There are tons of things this could be, systematic troubleshooting is the only way to be sure your not wasting parts and time.
What specific elements should be "tuned up" for a baseline tune up on a '83 60?

Make sure your cap, rotor wires plugs etc are all good. Ohm test the wires, even new ones can fail, coils can get weak and wiring connectors can get corroded and cause weak spark. Once those are known to be good and you are sure the vacuum advance cannister works, you can start tinkering with carb stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom