Captive Lockwashers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the process of pulling my bell housing and transmission, noticed most of the bolts have a captive lock washer (some also have a captive washer).

I was planning on just cutting the old lock washer off and using a new one. This there any problem doing this?

Cant see that there would be, but wanted to make sure before I reassemble.

Walt

No problem doing that, but it seems far too labor intensive for something that could easily be replaced if required. Or just buy new bolts with captive washer/lockwasher? Reusing the hardware is acceptable if in generally good shape. Most hardware on these trucks are reusable, very few things are one time use or 'stretch bolts'. Buying new oem hardware far outweighs the time to sit and break off lock washers while doing maintenance for me. Plus new hardware lets you keep the original hardware that you have for a future project or spare or for replating if you have such a desire.

Oem capture washers/flat washers are preferred as they fit the hardware/location best. You'll see the difference between metric and JIS hardware due to reduced size.

In the process of pulling my bell housing and transmission, noticed most of the bolts have a captive lock washer (some also have a captive washer).

I was planning on just cutting the old lock washer off and using a new one. This there any problem doing this?

Cant see that there would be, but wanted to make sure before I reassemble.

Walt
No problem doing that, but it seems far too labor intensive for something that could easily be replaced if required. Or just buy new bolts with captive washer/lockwasher? Reusing the hardware is acceptable if in generally good shape. Most hardware on these trucks are reusable, very few things are one time use or 'stretch bolts'. Buying new oem hardware far outweighs the time to sit and break off lock washers while doing maintenance for me. Plus new hardware lets you keep the original hardware that you have for a future project or spare or for replating if you have such a desire.

Oem capture washers/flat washers are preferred as they fit the hardware/location best. You'll see the difference between metric and JIS hardware due to reduced size.

this planned removal is unwarranted , and you will NEVER get a new one on , it will be a captive in your hand all night as you try to force it on ?

below is the facts behind SEMS JIS Bolts ., .........get skolled and you will see the light ....

The top, the part that is visible after the screw is installed, is the head. Directly below the head lies the shank, a smooth area of the screw with no threading; not all screws have one. The rest of the cylinder is called the shaft. Screw height is measured from the end point of the screw shaft to the head.

What is the purpose of a washer screw?
Washer, machine component that is used in conjunction with a screw fastener such as a bolt and nut and that usually serves either to keep the screw from loosening or to distribute the load from the nut or bolt head over a larger area.

How do you make Sems screws?
SEMS are created by combing a bolt with a permanently affixed washer. This washer stays in place due to the fact that it is installed on the blank bolt before the thread rolling is conducted. Because the treads are larger than the initial diameter, the washer stays in place without falling loose from the bolt.Dec 3, 2019

Screw and Washer Assemblies

SEMS stands for Screw and Washer Assemblies
Military and Government.

What is a SEMS screw?

A: SEMS are a bolt combination with a permanently attached washer or set of washers. It is also referred to as captivated washers, screw/bolt-washer assemblies or combi bolts. ... The Nord-Lock combi bolt offers the following: Ensures faster product assembly, thanks to pre-assembled and pre-lubricated parts.

1620437689448.jpeg

What about the bolts with lock washers?

Its the lock washers that are the main issue. The lock washers are flat and not reusable.

Also, there are several good sources for JIS washers and lock washers on line. I have had good luck with us.misumi-ec.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom