Canyonlands, Utah Expedition 2015 - Trip Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Utah Expedition 2015

Trip Report

Start: Chantilly, VA

19 September [Day 01] – Drive west, stopping in Effingham, IL

We departed home around 0645 and this was about as eventful as you’d expect. Some of the scenery through the mountains was nice, but what I remember the most is being reminded of the torque curve of the Cummins 4bt. I fought with the automatic transmission the whole time as it wanted to shift (thus dropping/increasing rpms out of the optimal power range) at the most inopportune moments. I don’t mind riding the right lane with the big rigs, but unfortunate for the Jeep that was caravanning with us.

We arrived in Effingham around 1900 and were joined by my brother riding his KLR from Champaign, IL at 2045. We quickly realized there was a Corvette convention in town and that our vehicles would stand out more than normal in this particular parking lot.

Miles covered: 726

Accommodation rating: 4/10

Mileage: 19mpg

20 September [Day 02] – Drive west, stopping in Elk City, OK

We departed the hotel around 0730 to head towards Elk City, OK. It was another fairly uneventful day, but there were miles and miles of wind farms and, of course, the open sky that I love about Texas (and I guess it even looks ok from Oklahoma). But it turns out it’s impossible to drive through OK on interstate without paying to use their roads.

We arrived at the Clarion Inn in Elk City just in enough time to get an order in to Pizza Hut. My hat’s off to my brother who rode through hard wind at night to finish up this drive (I’d later find out that this was a non-event for him). We had our last shower for a while, slept hard, and had a pretty darn good breakfast the next morning.

Miles covered: 710

Accommodation rating: 5/10

Mileage: 17.6mpg

21 September [Day 03] – Bandelier Group Campsite

We departed a little later than desired – around 0815 and, again, we started out the day with wind farms. Speaking of wind, we spent the majority of the day driving into a strong headwind as the engine was fighting against the headwind causing frequent up/down shifting and poor mileage (14mpg). This was the day I noticed that 4th gear/Overdrive in the transmission was behaving a bit fickle.

I wasn’t the only one getting poor mileage. Apparently the KLR has no fuel gauge so you fill up when you’ve driven a number of miles that would typically consume 5 gallons of gasoline. But the cross-section of a human on a KLR is about as aero dynamic as the Cruiser. The bike ran out of fuel on the interstate and fortunately my brother knew that, due to the geometry of the fuel tank and the location of the pick-up line, we just had to tilt that heavy bastard on its side and back up again and voila! A couple extra ounces of fuel to use! We drove another couple of miles to Cuervo, NM and the KLR was refueled.

Toward the end of the drive we started entering the beautiful New Mexico country. We plowed through Santa Fe pretty quickly, drove through the Los Alamos National Lab (but not without stopping at the guard booth and being reminded not to take pictures of any of the research facilities; my wife had to briefly put down her camera, much to her chagrin) and made it to the Ponderosa Group Campsite in Bandelier, NM where my dad and his friend were waiting with their Land Rover Defender and FJCruiser, respectively.

We ended up driving back into Los Alamos (8 minute drive) for some firewood and to top off the beer supply. Mighty convenient having a city so close.

After a quick dinner (thank you Campbells chunky stew), and an hour of sitting around the fire, we were off to sleep.

Ponderosa had a pit toilet, fire pit, plenty of room for tents, a couple shelters (one for each of the group campsites) with picnic tables and plenty of room for parking. It rained all night (only night it rained on the expedition) and the shelters came in handy as my brother had committed to just throwing a thermorest and sleeping bag on the ground. We stayed bone dry in the roof tent. I thought about how peaceful the sound of the rain was, rather than count the minutes until my sleeping bag started to get wet.

My wife was a bit timid on the picture front after the guard at the entry to Los Alamos told her no pictures of the facilities.

Miles covered: 464

Accommodation rating: 5.5/10

Mileage: 14.8mpg

22 September [Day 04] – Hamburger Rock (just outside of Squaw Flats campground in Needles)

After an even quicker breakfast of coffee and oatmeal, we set off for our first night in the Canyonlands. This was a much more interesting drive. We stopped for a quick photo-op at Valles Grande (and to let the turbos on the diesels cool down after a drive through the mountains). Then we took the long stretch of dirt road that is Route 126 to Cuba, NM where we refueled and got some awesome gas station carne asada burritos. We made a grocery/ice/beer stop in Farmington, NM where we had to post guards at the vehicles and actually run-off some would be thieves from stealing gear off the vehicles while we were in the store shopping. We stole enough from the Indians; I suppose they were just trying to get some of it back.

We made it to Hamburger Rock just before dark and got camp set up. I was surprised to find out that NPS had installed an enclosed pit toilet at the entrance to Hamburger Rock (but they’re also charging $6/night; I guess that’s a trade-off I can handle). We had time for a decent meal of sausage, red beans, and rice and a couple Tecates. Since we were outside the park, we didn’t have to worry about fire restrictions so we enjoyed a fire for a while after scrambling around on Hamburger Rock, and before turning in.

Miles covered: 334

Accommodation rating: 6.5/10

Mileage: 16.1

23 September [Day 05] – Wooden Shoe Group Campsite

Typically, our modus operandi is to leave Hamburger Rock early enough to grab a site at Squaw Flats campground. On this particular day, there were earlier birds than us and we found ourselves SOL. Maybe we should’ve skipped the breakfast burrito cooking time and opted for coffee and granola bars to get to Squaw flats earlier. Fortunately, we ran into a very helpful park ranger and he suggested the Wooden Shoe group campsite. After working with another incredibly helpful park ranger at the visitor center, we secured two nights at the Wooden Shoe group campsite. Lucky for us, we got it for the last couple of nights before the nightly rate went from $33 to $70.

The Wooden Shoe group site has a lot going for it. Seclusion, pit toilet, water source, lots of room, 3 picnic tables, fire ring, and lots of rocks to scramble around on. I have to say that I’m hesitant to even mention it at the risk of increasing its popularity. The ground dwellers all decided to forego tents and managed to find good flat spots to throw down ground tarps and sleeping bags. There were a few good flat parking spots for those of us with RTTs as well. After making camp, we set out to do the Squaw Canyon/Big Spring hike which was around 8 miles of good hiking with rock scrambling, cool scenery, and plenty of shade spots for resting and lunch. We started the hike around 1330 and we made it back just around sunset, around 1800.

After a challenging hike, we decided it’d be best to reward ourselves with a ribeye dinner, some high quality box wine, and a couple cigars around the campfire.

Miles covered: N/A

Accommodation rating: 9/10

Mileage: N/A

24 September [Day 06] – Wooden Shoe Group Campsite

Breakfast was redneck Eggs Benedict (English muffin, topped with fried Canadian bacon, fried egg over-easy, and Tabasco), followed by unloading the vehicles of extraneous weight and setting off for Elephant Hill around 1100 (a bit too late, as it turned out).

The 80 Series, Defender, FJ, and Jeep made their way over Elephant Hill handily, but slowly. Four vehicles and their four respective spotters, take a little longer than one vehicle trucking along. We were also being fairly careful as we all had to drive our vehicles home (2100 miles, 1400 miles, and 1000 miles). The speed wasn’t enough to get us to the Confluence Overlook trailhead in enough time to make the hike and get back over Elephant Hill before dark. The thought of going over Elephant Hill at night didn’t thrill us, so we made the overwhelmingly disappointing decision to NOT hike out to the Confluence Overlook. However, we all still completed Elephant Hill without major breakage, and that was accomplishment enough for the day.

Due to the disappointment of not doing the Confluence, we all needed an extra beer to wash down the side of sadness that accompanied the Jambalaya.

Elephant Hill 2

Elephant Hill 1

High Spur to Dead Man's Trail

Miles covered: 17.2

Accommodation rating: 9/10

Mileage: Not good

25 September [Day 07] – Squaw Flats (Needles)

Breakfast this morning was fried eggs, bacon, and some creative rice and bean pancakes my step-dad made out of the leftover bean, rice, and sausage from Hamburger Rock. It marked the last meal that we had at Wooden Shoe before moving to Squaw Flats campsite. This time, we sent some scouts out early in the morning to get our site and we managed a couple sites right next to each other.

We spent a couple hours relaxing and troubleshooting an electrical fault reported by the head unit in my radio which turned out to be a non-issue (my wife found the reset button on the radio which solved the issue).

We set off around 1430 for some rock scrambling. From the A-loop at Squaw Flats, there’s a trail head that that can be deviated from (careful of the cryptobiotic soil!) to scramble around the rocks and cliff faces visible from the majority of the Squaw Flats campsites in Loop A. This was, by far, my favorite hiking. We set our own trail, found our own way back, and if we saw something we wanted to try, we gave it a shot.

Dinner was spaghetti and meat sauce. The Squaw Flats campsite was the only site where we enjoyed a sink to do the dishes in.

This is also the site where the group was introduced to the word game called Contact (requires no pieces, only humans able to speak and think - ruling more and more expeditioners unqualified as the night got later and the wine got emptier).

Miles covered: 1.4

Accommodation rating: 6.5/10

26 September [Day 08] – Moab (hotel)

We lazily rolled out of the campsite by 1030-1100 and set out for Moab. Our hotel was the Super 8 on the north side of Moab which had a washing machine that we took full advantage of. We arrived a few hours before check-in and the attendants were nice enough to let us lock up our roof rack cargo and the cargo in the Defender while I tracked down some transmission conditioner to give me peace of mind and everyone else did some shopping.

We used the comfort of the hotel room to off-load some pictures from the camera and my wife couldn't resist laying out by the pool for at least a little while.

For late lunch we got burgers at Zax and the pizza looked so good that we went back for dinner. I'd say that it was good to have a nice meal, but our meals on the trail up till that point were nothing to complain about.

Miles covered: 79

Accommodation rating: 6/10

Mileage: 15

27 September [Day 09] – Gooseberry (Island in the Sky Backcountry)

After a breakfast at the Super 8 that was only good for the coffee it afforded me, we set out from Moab heading north to the Island in the Sky Visitor Center. Route 313 afforded some nice views, but we were all anxious to get onto the White Rim.

After checking in at the visitor center and filling out water cans, we set down the Shafer Trail switchbacks. A persistent complaint I have about the F4BT80 is that the low gear just doesn't slow the vehicle down enough on steep descents. I did more braking in a 7,000lb. vehicle than I cared to and stopped to let the brakes cool down on two occasions. The Defender also had some brake fade issues, but neither the F4BT80 nor the Defender was ever in any real danger. Just good measure.

When we stopped at the Gooseneck trail, my brother turned off his KLR, tried to restart it to move it to make room for the other vehicles, and found the engine willing to turn over, but not fire. Some problems go away if you ignore them so we decided to have lunch. The 0.3 mile hike on the Gooseneck trail was easy enough to carry lunch fixins over and enjoy the overlook while we ate. Not much shade, so maybe not the best place for lunch, but the view was just fine.

We made our way back to the vehicles. Those problems that go away if you ignore them? The KLR not starting wasn't one of them. After troubleshooting, he ended up draining the fuel from the float bowl, and starting the bike with the idle cranked up a bit to keep the engine running. The problem seemed to go away the next day. Because carbureted engines are just magic I guess.

We made sure to stop at Musselman arch and get some good pictures of everyone dumb enough to walk across it (which was all of us).

We finished the 30 miles to Gooseberry Campsites where we had the two sites and chose to spend most of our time on Gooseberry A. The surface was heavily "pot-holed" but afforded plenty of flat spots for our tables, tents, and vehicles with RTTs to park. There wasn't much in the way of shade or wind blocks which became painfully apparent after experiencing an exciting wind gust, the likes of which leave sleeping bags and tents below the White Rim.

With those two complaints, it still turned out to be a great site to observe the full solar eclipse; I'd like to chalk this up to good planning, but the perfect suitability of the site to view the solar eclipse was just dumb luck.

After around a thousand pictures and a meal of BBQ chicken fingers and broccoli we sat around the charcoal embers for a bit (contained charcoal is the closest thing to a fire allowed on the White Rim), had a couple sips of Don Julio, and called it a night.

Miles covered: 60

Accommodation rating: 7/10

Mileage: 14

28 September [Day 10] – Potato Bottom (Island in the Sky Backcountry)

After a breakfast that I'm sure consisted of meat and eggs, we pressed on to the next site on the White Rim. The day would involve more carnage for the KLR, and a cyclist rescue that we were not compensated for.

The Jeep driver was also a motorcycle rider so he traded off with my brother to take a turn riding the KLR. I think riding a KLR 1000+ miles, then off road HAS to be mentally draining so I think it was a good few hours of relief.

The day hadn't afforded its first photo op before the FJ driver realized the funny "clanking" sounds were due to a missing bolt on the rear anti-sway bar; we're not sure if it shook loose or sheared off. Fortunately, rear sway bars are useless at 25mph so we just removed the bolt on the other end and took the damn thing out.

While we made the sway bar "repair," the KLR was getting further and further ahead, scouting out the trail for us. Unfortunately, no one scouted out the trail for the KLR.

We crested a sharp hill, and at the top we found the riders helmet and jacket sitting on a rock; at the bottom, on the other side, we found a mangled bike and equally mangled rider. The forks on the bike twisted and the motor refusing to start, and the rider's wrist broken and knee bloody, we proceeded with making repairs to the bike and the rider.

There was a brief fear among the group that we wouldn't get the bike working but my brother was confident and so we followed suit. A half hour later, we set off, mangled rider riding shotgun with me, original rider back in the saddle.

We hadn't made it but a few miles (just over Hogback) when we found Joyce, separated from her guided cyclist tour. Apparently, the group made camp at the night prior at the Murphy Hogback site offset from the main road and Joyce - getting a slight head start on the group - turned the wrong way out of the site to head back the way they came from the day before. Her group, thinking that she was just hauling ***, rode hard to try to catch up. Unfortunately they were heading opposite directions and by the time Joyce realized her mistake and doubled back, her group (and the SAG wagon) were well out of reach. We found Joyce as she was running low on water. She told us her story, we disassembled her bike and threw it in/on the vehicles and set out to catching up with her group.

Just before Candlestick the SAG wagon came lurching back to find their lost rider. I offered to only charge half of what the NPS charges for helicopter rescue. They offered an invitation to their campsite for a beer, which - I guess - they thought to be a good compromise. After unburdening us of Joyce's bike, they then explained that they had no seats with seatbelts left for Joyce in their SAG wagon. We drove her the rest of the way to Potato Bottom, where they had the C site and we had A&B. We declined to walk to their site for a beer, but remember the mangled motorcycle rider in the group? It turns out one of the cyclists in the guided tour was an RN who walked over to administer a free examination.

There was plenty room at Potato Bottom Site B for all four vehicles (two with RTTs) and a motorcycle, but due to the vehicle limit on campsites we had to reserve the second site for the extra two vehicles to stay within park regulations.

A park ranger doing a patrol on a motorcycle stopped by our site as we were setting up the tents and preparing for dinner and thanked us for helping Joyce. He then headed down the road (I suspect to reprimand the guided expedition tour guides for losing a customer).

The dinner at this site was the most technically difficult and rewarding yet. My brother made chicken pot pie in my dutch oven. It was superb.

Miles covered: 37.2

Accommodation rating: 8/10

Mileage: 13

Last edited:
29 September [Day 11] – BLM site outside of The Maze

You know what stinks bad enough to make you vomit? Hitting a pit toiled shared with 15 granola eating cyclists first thing in the morning AFTER said cyclists have utterly defiled the pit toilet.

In another brilliant move by the tour company, they didn't wait for us to leave before they set out, which left the cyclists sucking on our dust trail as we slowly passed them throughout the day.

Moving on...

Hardscrabble Hill was fun (after I got the Cruiser out of full neutral and back into 4low (just in time to narrowly avoid s***ting myself)).

We passed both Hardscrabble and Labrynth campgrounds and both seemed like good spots with Hardscrabble offering some shade.

After some loose sand and a few miles of pavement, we headed to Green River to restock our depleted beer supply and make way to a well hidden site outside of the Maze just before Hans Flat ranger station off of Han’s Flat Rd (which is off Highway 24). You have to avoid a few free ranging cattle, leave a few bread crumbs, and make your way through off-camber hills of soft sand. Worth it.

We set up camp, enjoyed the view and had a meal of chili cheese fries (another first for all of us was making french fries on the trail in a dutch oven - cold oil method works best).

Miles covered: 170

Accommodation rating: 8.5/10

Mileage: 14

Last edited:
30 September [Day 12] – BLM site outside of the Maze

To keep from having to tear down the RTTs, and in the interest of time, we loaded into the Defender and Jeep and drove through the Maze to the Great Gallery trailhead, passing High Spur campground on the way (camped here in the past, highly recommend it).

If you're anywhere close, the Great Gallery is a must. The hike down and up Deadmans Trail can be a bear, but it's worth it. Say "hi" so the ground squirrel that camps out there. His name is Nugget. He's gluten intolerant.

Good time can be made if the vehicles springs are appropriately rated, and the bumpstops are set correctly...

We camped at the same site and had a melancholy last night of good food and company, knowing we had to break camp for good the following morning and head home.

Miles covered: 70

Accommodation rating: 8.5/10

01 October [Day 13] – Drive home

A quick breakfast of oatmeal and coffee and we set to break down camp and head home. We stopped again in Green River, fueled up, and set out. The Texas based FJ and Defender, parted ways at the Moab exit.

Through the miracle of smart phones found a hotel and made reservations at ~650 miles.

This was my first opportunity to verify that overdrive was shot in the Cruiser. The Jeep went on ahead and the KLR, with its longer and more frequent stops, yoyo'd with the Cruiser for 2nd place.

The drive through Colorado was beautiful on I-70. The guys that built I-70 were courteous enough to build it along the Colorado River so it was mostly flat (flat=good when you have no overdrive) until we got to Vail. Vail was an awful bitch for the Cruiser (and the KLR as it turns out).

Miles covered: 666

Accommodation rating: 4.5/10

Mileage: 17

02 October [Day 14] – Drive home

We broke off from the Jeepers, who headed east to take the shortest route home. We took a slight detour (+50 miles to the trip) to stay at my brothers place in Champaign, IL. If you're ever there, go to Black Dog and get some BBQ.

We had a nice bonfire, good company and a comfortable bed.

Miles covered: 672

Accommodation rating: 10/10

Mileage: 17

03 October [Day 15] – Arrive home

Illinois is boring to drive across. And it was rainy and foggy all the way through the Appalachians. And I was still only moving 50-58 mph. A stiff drink was in order when I arrived home in Chantilly around 0030.

Miles covered: 695

Accommodation rating: home

Mileage: 16

I turned around to travel for work for a couple days after we got home. When I returned home, my wife had a surprise for me. Apparently, we'd made not only good memories on the expedition, but a little human as well. Looks like Utah worked out OK for us.

Wow! Nice trip and nice write-up!

Thanks for the great trip report. I'm wanting to do the White Rim next year, fortunately I live a little closer in Salt Lake City.

Lucky man. I've been thinking of relocating off the east coast so that I can say what you just said.

If you're doing the White Rim, definitely divide it in at least two days. Of the two campsites, I liked Gooseberry least, but it was still perfectly passable. If you're planning on just throwing a sleeping bag out on the ground, it's great as there are plenty of big "pot holes" to set your sleeping bag in to block a bit of the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom