Can we please get a Tech Article area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a relative newbie to Land Cruisers, I've been having a heck of a time finding COMPREHENSIVE instructions on how to do certain projects. The search function helps but it requires wading through a number of threads and reading a bunch of posts that may or may not completely explain the procedure.

This forum would benefit greatly from a Technical Article reference area where members could provide comprehensive write-ups (with photos!) on common projects/procedures. That way, when a user is trying to figure out how to adjust their torsion bars (for example), they don't have to buy a FSM or wade through two dozen threads that might not clearly explain the procedure...instead, they would consult one tech article with clear, concise instructions and photographs.

For an excellent example of what this area would look like, please look some of the articles on the Tech Article/FAQ area of the Diesel Truck Resource (for Dodge Ram pickups), located here: FAQ

Thank you.

according to the link you provided, that's their OLD FAQ...is it still supported?

Main Page - IH8MUD Wiki was added a few years back by member request to begin such a project...sadly, I have limited time (and more limited expertise) to tackle the project myself, and the membership is also busy.

Each forum section has a FAQ with the best links in there on major subjects. The forum is based on discussion of topics, not stating that there is only one way to do anything...as many of our membership knows, there are shortcuts and tricks that aren't covered by any FSM or FAQ or anything else, and those are often included in the FAQ links.

oh, and I hit 5-6 links from that FAQ...there were all dated 2002 and 2000...likely still accurate, but definitely not updated.

That is but one example. It's been a few years since I've owned one of those trucks so I'm not familiar with the nuances of the site any longer. Whether or not that particular FAQ is current is not relevant. Ours could be and at the present, we do not have something that comprehensive and detailed. Just a suggestion for something that I think might improve the site. :)

I'm going to wager a guess that they abandoned that FAQ as the forum discussions became more prevalent.

I'm all for the wiki...and it's by far the best method of creating that type of information, since it's easily edited by anyone.

Great idea. Please remember that most every article/thread in the IH8MUD site is done by members who took the time to photographically document what they were doing and wrote up a detailed story of what they did.

Many of them include where they got thier parts and the part numbers.

The moderators do a great job gleaning the articles and keeping Chat in the Chat section so the tech article remains a true tech article. They will also comment in the technical article if the person is not doing something correctly during thier documentation.

This forum would benefit greatly from a Technical Article reference area where members could provide comprehensive write-ups (with photos!) on common projects/procedures. That way, when a user is trying to figure out how to adjust their torsion bars (for example), they don't have to buy a FSM or wade through two dozen threads that might not clearly explain the procedure...instead, they would consult one tech article with clear, concise instructions and photographs.

Thank you.

:cheers:

I'm going to wager a guess that they abandoned that FAQ as the forum discussions became more prevalent.

I'm all for the wiki...and it's by far the best method of creating that type of information, since it's easily edited by anyone.

Alright, I logged onto the DTR for the first time in a long time to figure out what the deal was with their FAQ/"Old FAQ". They didn't abandon it. They branched off it and created a user friendly Wiki, located HERE. It has all the new tech articles such as THIS ONE. I know that there's an IH8MUD Wiki but for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out its user interface.

Both are powered by MediaWiki....not sure the MUD version is the most current, will have to check...

The membership on 'MUD has not yet embraced it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom