Calling Death Valley Experts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing Death Valley next week and the route we have planned is:

Day 1: San Diego > Baker > Warm Springs Canyon Road > Camp near the Mengel's Cabin

Day 2: Mengel Pass > Barker Ranch > Goler Wash > Trona Road > Blacktop up to 190 > Panamint Springs > Old Toll Rd/Darwin Springs > Darwin Rd > 190 > Saline Valley Rd > Hunter Mtn Road > Camp near Jackass Creek on top of Hunter Mtn

Day 3: Hunter Mtn > Goldbelt Springs > Teakettle Junction > Racetrack > Lippencott Road > Saline Valley Dunes > Lower Warm Springs Rd > Steel Pass > Camp near Eureka Dunes.

Day 4: Eureka Dunes > Loretta Mine Rd > Death Valley Rd > Big Pine to San Diego.

I can attach my GPS file if anyone is confused. My question is... is this too ambitious? Too many miles in 3 nights? I'm not a big on sitting around camp, but I like getting to camp early enough to setup and cook before dark. So I'm on the fence. Do I skip the Darwin section and just take 190 to Saline Valley Road?

Thanks in advance, its my first trip in DV.

not sure but I'll be out there as well! Will be my first time also...got invited to be camp host (for my buddies riding around in dirt bikes). If you see a lonely biege 80 wandering around, or surrounded by dirt bikes say whats up!

my best plan is always no plan, or more like play-it-by-ear I guess. You dont want to get into a situation where your trying to stick to a strict schedule. I would take some points off your list if your worried about hitting them all, less stress. Then it will be like a bonus if the path opens up in your favor along the way

not sure but I'll be out there as well! Will be my first time also...got invited to be camp host (for my buddies riding around in dirt bikes). If you see a lonely biege 80 wandering around, or surrounded by dirt bikes say whats up!

my best plan is always no plan, or more like play-it-by-ear I guess. You dont want to get into a situation where your trying to stick to a strict schedule. I would take some points off your list if your worried about hitting them all, less stress. Then it will be like a bonus if the path opens up in your favor along the way

When are you out there? Let's meet up. I'll be there next Wednesday - Saturday. The problem with not having any plan is I want to see a lot of things and if I don't get at least a route together (enter and exit points) I'll end up missing out on a lot because everything is far away from each other. But yeah maybe I need to shorten up the route a bit. I'll see if anyone else chimes in that has done a similar trip.

I will PM you as soon as I get the details from Cash, the guy leading the whole trip, but we are actually doing the beginning of the week so it’s not likely we will overlap :frown:. Cash would likely have a good idea about your route and feasibility so I’ll run it by him.

I've done all of that numerous times. it is very ambitious but doable. skip Darwin. camp at goldbelt on hunter . it's beautiful. or camp at Lost borrow and have a bit more time to spend at Racetrack Playa

you may be able to get the Geologists cabin (the only one I would sleep in) at Striped Butte. it's first come but Mengel's is a cool spot.

I've done all of that numerous times. it is very ambitious but doable. skip Darwin. camp at goldbelt on hunter . it's beautiful. or camp at Lost borrow and have a bit more time to spend at Racetrack Playa

you may be able to get the Geologists cabin (the only one I would sleep in) at Striped Butte. it's first come but Mengel's is a cool spot.

Thanks for the tips. Attached is the GPS file of my route. You can open it up on Google Earth.

Attachments

• Death Valley West Side-3 night.kml
    344.2 KB · Views: 284
Cool thing is that you will get a chance to see where you want to spend more time exploring while you do this route. within your route are lots of spots you would want to spend 1/2 day exploring. its kind of a teaser. take note for your next trip(s).
been leading adventure runs to DV for the last 10 years or so and the is SOOOO much cool stuff to see there. in doing a long route like this you'll miss a lot but you will figure out where you want to spend more time in the future in places like: Chloride City, Pleasant Canyon, Jail Canyon, Titus, Skidoo, Marble, Shirt tail, Surprise Canyon (great hike!) and a $3 swim at the stovepipe well resort pool to refresh yourself. etc.... these are many Dead end trails that deserve a half day each. oh, and not to forget Cerro Gordo! happy exploring!! BTW; Panamint Springs resort has literally about 135 different beers and some damn good chili!!!!

Hey guys I plan to be in DV next week too, probably Fri-Sun. If you are there during these days let’s chat, maybe we can drive together.
This would be my second time, I was there once last year, did Mengel pass, I found it a bit too challenging for my taste/rig.

Cool thing is that you will get a chance to see where you want to spend more time exploring while you do this route. within your route are lots of spots you would want to spend 1/2 day exploring. its kind of a teaser. take note for your next trip(s).
been leading adventure runs to DV for the last 10 years or so and the is SOOOO much cool stuff to see there. in doing a long route like this you'll miss a lot but you will figure out where you want to spend more time in the future in places like: Chloride City, Pleasant Canyon, Jail Canyon, Titus, Skidoo, Marble, Shirt tail, Surprise Canyon (great hike!) and a $3 swim at the stovepipe well resort pool to refresh yourself. etc.... these are many Dead end trails that deserve a half day each. oh, and not to forget Cerro Gordo! happy exploring!! BTW; Panamint Springs resort has literally about 135 different beers and some damn good chili!!!!

Thanks for the tips, thats great information. I'll try to shorten this trip a bit.

Hey guys I plan to be in DV next week too, probably Fri-Sun. If you are there during these days let’s chat, maybe we can drive together.
This would be my second time, I was there once last year, did Mengel pass, I found it a bit too challenging for my taste/rig.

I got full skid plates just for Mengel on this trip. Did you do it in a 100 or 200? I would love some feedback on it. It seems very doable from the videos I've seen.

Let's meet up! I'll PM'd you.

I was in my 200. Stock skid plates and steel bumpers. I hit my rear bumper and slightly bent it up. It was my fault, I should have been more careful, I think if I picked a different line I would have been fine. The Stripped butte area is gorgeous. This was one my favorite pictures I took last year. I would like to go there again this year
12A14E98-F860-4701-B654-C0B81B87B969.jpeg
but not through Mengel

You'll be looking at a lot of awesome scenery out your windows.

Here’s what I just got from the lead guy in regards to my route (while they are dirt-biking a much longer trek), it’s 3 nights starting in Beatty, then Panamint, echo canyon, back to Beatty.

“we’re starting in Beatty. Monday am. Plan to dirt road to rayolite then pave couple miles to Titus canyon dirt road. You’ll spend much time in there.
Exit Titus, pave to stovepipe wells then hwy to panamint springs. Meet us there for dinner.
Camp just south of ps. Out in nowhere.

Tuesday we head south, you back to park.
Many sites.
Go south to bad water and drive artist drive. Head down west side dirt road to 4wd trail to Queen of Sheba mine.
Meet furnace creek for dinner. We’ll camp bout a mile up echo canyon at a nice gravel bar.
You’ll enjoy echo to the mines. Then you back track out. The drive up to Dante view is paved but awesome.
Meet you in Beatty.
There’s stuff around Beatty also. Beatty wash is cool.”

I still haven’t found a co-pilot because this is so last minute so... anyone want to run this with me? I’m a DV noob, so lots of tourist sites, and light trail work. I only have small lift on my otherwise stock 80 equipped with cdl only :)

Open for suggestions also as far as side trips along this route. OP I’ll be up north already when you come in unfortunately.

Doable with early start on Day 1. You can take a look at Harry Wade road to enter DV. You will bypass Shoshone and will mean last gas is Baker until Pananmint SPrings. Will you be contending with Vegas traffic on way out? Day 2 is easy. I would arrange it to camp at Saline hot springs. Unless you have a big/aux tank, I would take the opportunity to top off at Panamint Springs, no matter what the cost.

Last edited:
Doable with early start on Day 1. You can take a look at Harry Wade road to enter DV. You will bypass Shoshone and will mean last gas is Baker until Pananmint SPrings. Will you be contending with Vegas traffic on way out? Day 2 is easy. I would arrange it to camp at Saline hot springs. Unless you have a big/aux tank, I would take the opportunity to top off at Panamint Springs, no matter what the cost.

Thanks for the tips. Thanks for the tip on Harry Wade road, do you think it saves a lot of time cutting off the corner and not going into Shoshone? We are planning on getting gas in Panamint Springs. I will have 10 gallons (2 jerry cans) with me.

We are leaving at 6am on Wednesday so we should be able to get to Baker without any traffic. You think Day 3 is too long? I just read a trip report here Death Valley 2016 Trip report that it took that group a whole day to go from Eureka Dunes to Saline Hot Springs, that trip report had me worried.

Harry Wade goes through some interesting country, especially Ibex SPrings and Mine. Not a time saver to visit these short detours, but worth it (the springs). Saline: The road got blown out by a rain storm about 2015 or so. It was pick-a-line through a wash from about Palm Springs to Steele Pass. The route has since been run-in and is a lot better, relatively speaking. --unless of course it has rained again

Cooler is primed, cruiser is packed, desert bound at dawn...woohoo!

just downloaded some Tommy Guerrero for the trip, highly recommended road trip tunes I just found. Road to knowwhere is the name of the album:)

A last minute electrical fan went on too for those idle speeds in the desert. Man that thing cranks
:cool:

I got full skid plates just for Mengel on this trip. Did you do it in a 100 or 200? I would love some feedback on it. It seems very doable from the videos I've seen.

Let's meet up! I'll PM'd you.
Just came over Goler->Mengel a few weeks ago. Lots of stacked rocks, you shouldn't have a problem with full skids. I agree with others that your itinerary is doable but you will be wishing you had more time at each location. Have fun and be safe!

20190406_123736.jpg

Last edited:
Cooler is primed, cruiser is packed, desert bound at dawn...woohoo!

just downloaded some Tommy Guerrero for the trip, highly recommended road trip tunes I just found. Road to knowwhere is the name of the album:)

A last minute electrical fan went on too for those idle speeds in the desert. Man that thing cranks
:cool:

Awesome. I was trying to get the land cruiser phill fan kit installed before my trip but its not looking like its going to happen.

Just came over Goler->Mengel a few weeks ago. Lots of stacked rocks, you shouldn't have a problem with full skids. I agree with others that your itinerary is doable but you will be wishing you had more time at each location. Have fun and be safe!

View attachment 1952865

Thanks for the trip report. Good to know another 100 went through it recently. Great photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom