Buzzing from mobile mount 2M radio in FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
I recently install a 2M radio and antenna in a 1997 FZJ80. When the radio is on there is a buzzing noise that varies in intensity in relation to the engine RPM.

The radio and antenna had previously been used without issue in a Tacoma pickup (though I used a new coax cable for the 80 Series installation.)

Thoughts on the source of this interference (alternator? Ignition?) and a way to "fix" it?

Thanks in advance!

I recently install a 2M radio and antenna in a 1997 FZJ80. When the radio is on there is a buzzing noise that varies in intensity in relation to the engine RPM.

The radio and antenna had previously been used without issue in a Tacoma pickup (though I used a new coax cable for the 80 Series installation.)

Thoughts on the source of this interference (alternator? Ignition?) and a way to "fix" it?

Thanks in advance!

If it varies in direct relation to engine rpm, then it's probably from the ignition, but the alternator is also a possibility.

Bond your exhaust pipe to the frame with a braided copper cable.

Don't run your antenna coax along the same path as the radio power wires.

Add ferrite chokes to the radio power wires near the radio, and on the antenna coax near the antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom