Buying high-ish miles Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get in to an FJ. I've owned 4runners and built a really nice 80 as well. I've been out of the 4x4 loop for a while and I just can't deny myself any longer. I have been researching FJs for quite some time now. I have a couple of friends that own them and love them. I wanted to get something 2010 and newer, locked with around 60-70k miles. That being said the price range can be a bit overwhelming. My questions are this. If I decide to get something with higher miles, 100k+, what am I looking for? How does the quality of the build hold up over time and is the drivers seat still comfortable? Do these trucks have a timing belt or chain? Is there a significant power drop over 100k? Anything helps, thank you

If I decide to get something with higher miles, 100k+, what am I looking for?

One that's been maintained well? Not sure what you are asking.

How does the quality of the build hold up over time and is the drivers seat still comfortable?

I have 190,000 pretty hard miles on mine, and it still drives and runs like new. My aftermarket front upper control arm uniballs are squeaking pretty bad, but that's not Toyota's fault.

My drivers seat is still firm and very comfortable. There is a small hole worn in the lower part of the seat back, so I put good-quality seat covers on them.

Do these trucks have a timing belt or chain?

Timing chain.

Is there a significant power drop over 100k? Anything helps, thank you

I've experienced zero power drop in 190,000 miles, but I maintain mine well, and have always used full-synthetic oil, and premium gas. It doesn't leak, drip, or burn a drop of oil between extended changes either.

These trucks were all made in Japan; personally, I believe the build quality is better than U.S.-built Toyotas.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you brother, this is helpful stuff. I've read other threads and coupled with this info I think I'm pretty set. Now the trick is getting the one I want for the price I'm willing to pay. I live in the Portland Oregon area and the prices here seem to be on the above average side.

Bought my 13 trail teams with 90000 on it. Still looks and runs like new. You can find these vehicles with high mileage in great condition. And they absolutely hold up well.

Hopefully this helps you, this is my ride also

IMG_20180922_071820_01.jpg

I own an 80 and a fjc. I will say that there is a legitimate reason why the 80 forum has 20X the activity as the fjc forum . The answer is FJ cruisers are more reliable.

I own an 80 and a fjc. I will say that there is a legitimate reason why the 80 forum has 20X the activity as the fjc forum . The answer is FJ cruisers are more reliable.

Have to agree, even though I loved the 80 that my FJC replaced. I drove the 80 all over the country and ended up giving it to one of my sons (who drove it for a bunch more miles), but the 80 at 100,000 miles had way more leaks and minor issues than my FJC has at 200,000.

Most 80 owners won't admit it though .

Ha, I'm definitely hoping so!!! I used to own an 80. I probably spent $25k on that thing over the 5 years that I had it. Sold it with 280k miles. Was my favorite vehicle ever and it treated me well but it was super expensive to upkeep. It was my daily which was a prob. I just got a 2012 FJ with 60k miles and am looking forward to owning it for the foreseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom