Burnin' Oil - aka the Smoker Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While not directly Toyota related, it is rusty, it smokes, and at least like mine, it's a little ghetto.

The goal is to finish this up by Christmas, so I need some motivation. The end goal is a vertical smoker with 3 cooking racks and a water pan. I've got 1.5 ~ 4'x6' sheets of 1/4" plate in this thing and it weighs a ton, but should probably be around a while.

Here is the main box coming together - those angles on the bottom severely stressed my geometry skills...

IMG_0776.JPG

On all fours

IMG_0996.JPG

I frenched in the hinges such that the doors would close flush with a to-be-insulated lip around the door threshold.

IMG_1136.JPG

This will be where the exhaust pipe mounts on the back.

IMG_1137.JPG

I've posted this before, but this is the reverse flow smoker I built that started it all.

IMG_0284.JPG

Those are some good looking welds. you using gas or flux wire?

And 1/4" plate.... :eek: I bet the sumbitch is heavy, but shouldn't go anywhere anytime soon.

I like projects like this, will be checking back in regularly.

if you need motivation I'll round up the crew and be over for dinner this weekend. :flipoff2:

Those are some good looking welds. you using gas or flux wire?

And 1/4" plate.... :eek: I bet the sumbitch is heavy, but shouldn't go anywhere anytime soon.

I like projects like this, will be checking back in regularly.

Switched to gas before I started on the truck and like another saying, I won't be going back. Don't worry though, there are plenty of ugly welds but nothing a grinder won't fix.

if you need motivation I'll round up the crew and be over for dinner this weekend. :flipoff2:

Bring it. While your here you can help me install my locker:grinpimp:

I'd be all over that if it weren't for my minor list of things to get done.

A pic with the doors

image.jpeg

And tonight's progress on the charcoal box. I'll fill in the openings with expanded metal.

image.jpeg

Made some progress this weekend. Cooking racks done.

IMG_1161.JPG

Added some catches such that the Q doesn't end up on the ground when you pull the racks out.

IMG_1163.JPG

And this is the start on the air intakes. I still have to cut the holes.

IMG_1164.JPG

Yum, I can smell the BBQ now... Also looks like you're pretty good at cutting out circles. :smokin:

Yum, I can smell the BBQ now... Also looks like you're pretty good at cutting out circles. :smokin:

I wish that was true, but I am good at typing in my credit card number to avoid the hack job that would have resulted in trying to do that myself.

Post-weekend update. Should have it knocked out this week.

Got the holes cut for the air intake.

image.jpeg

And the exhaust done.

image.jpeg

Almost there. All that's left are handle, a test run, and paint.

Latches

image.jpeg

Exhaust regulator

image.jpeg

Shelf

image.jpeg

And she's ready to hit the slopes.

image.jpeg

And if you made it to the end, how about a late-January wheelin trip?

And if you made it to the end, how about a late-January wheelin trip?

we were talking about this last weekend, don't know when the next ride will be. I have a lot to do to the rig before the next one but I'm motivated so ya never know.

How'd the shade down go? Pics needed.

we were talking about this last weekend, don't know when the next ride will be. I have a lot to do to the rig before the next one but I'm motivated so ya never know.

How'd the shade down go? Pics needed.

Unfortunately I didn't put anything on, just tried to get it hot and burn any crud out of it.

In regard to wheeling, I'm down for anything during the next couple of months. I know you guys have been digging on AOP which is great, but I wouldn't mind checking out Chocco. If it doesn't happen in the next couple of days, I'll start a dedicated thread. Good look wrapping up the mods - I hope Santa brings you lots of new goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom