Built '97 Land Rover Discovery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am posting this for my dad, so please refer to the contact information listed below...you can feel free to pm me, but I cannot access this site during the day so my response may be slow, however I will answer any questions as quickly as I can.

Vehicle: 1997 Land Rover Discovery
Color: Red
Motor: V8
Transmission: Automatic
Mileage: 113,896

Description:
This is a second owner vehicle originally a TX truck, but moved to CO about 4 years ago. The truck is in excellent running condition and has received regular maintenance including new brakes and rotors on all four wheels, 2 years ago. No mechanical or electrical problems. The truck is rust free (aluminum) and has only been wheeled lightly (mostly trail-riding) and has no body damage.

Accessories/Improvements:
6 Disk CD Changer
CB Radio
245/75 R16 BFG AT KO's (New 9K miles ago)
2 1/2 OME Lift (Coil Spring Suspension)
OME Shocks
Safari Guard Front Bumper with Brush Guard and Winch Box
360° swiveling recovery points on front bumper
Hella Rallye 4000 Lights (Mounted on Brush Guard)
Safari Guard Rear Bumper
Safari Guard Sliders
Safari Guard Differential Caps (Front and Rear)
Safari Guard Skid Plates and Armor
ARB Front Locking Differential
ARB Rear Locking Differential
ARB onboard air compressor (for lockers)
Rotoflex (rubber rag joint) has been professionally replaced on the rear drive shaft with a U-Joint

This is a very capable truck with a ton of accessories. Pictures available upon request.

Price: $10,500 OBO
DSC_FrontWeb.jpg
DSC_RearWeb.jpg

Last edited:
Is that a 100 series Land Cruiser parked next to it in the pic??

Elijah,

Yes...that is the disco's replacement. :)

As you can see with the lift it is a fair bit taller than a stock 100 series.

Not really. They are really good trucks. Running gear is tough. Maybe only problem I would say is the interior build quality and some minor electric problems. But problems do vary with different years.

I'm trying to restrain myself....be nice....be nice....BUT...."really good" is open to interpretation...I STRONGLY recommend anyone thinking about buying a disco do their own research on how good these trucks are. A few hours on the web should tell you all you need to know.

Thanks for your Responses

All,

Sorry that it has taken me a day or so to reply to this...thanks for all of the interest. I have tried to answer all questions and respond to all comments below.

i have always loved the way those disco's looked all lifted, but didnt they just have tons of problems?

Motoloco,

I have heard tons of stories through the years about these trucks. I would say it all depends on who you ask. I know guys who had one and will never own another, and then there are a ton of diehards that feel the same way about them as most people on this board feel about Land Cruisers. From personal experience, we have not had any trouble with this one. The one problem that we did have that was re-occurring is that we would ruin a "rotoflex" (read rag joint where the rear drive shaft meets the pinion flange) every 50K miles or so...We rectified that problem by replacing it with a earlier model U-Joint and flange. Other than that, you hear a lot about electrical problems with these trucks, but we have not had any.

I'm trying to restrain myself....be nice....be nice....BUT...."really good" is open to interpretation...I STRONGLY recommend anyone thinking about buying a disco do their own research on how good these trucks are. A few hours on the web should tell you all you need to know.

Martin White,

Thanks for your feedback...I agree anyone who purchases a vehicle that they do not have any experience with should definitely do their research before making that commitment. That being said, I owned a Ford pickup truck that broke down constantly and I will never own another Ford product in it's production state...it doesn't mean that Fords are bad...but I had a bad experience with one and made a decision based on that experience.

Bottom Line...to each their own.

When it comes to items that matter like drive train and suspension, I would say that LRs are second best available to LCs. They are essentially designed the same with a birfiled axle that is 2x or 3x times the size of He@ps. The main difference is the Coil spring suspension which gives them big time flex. We ran this truck with 315 x 75 R16s for a while and with the lift it will stuff them no problem.

True, but I've had one for almost 4 years without ANY problems. 1995 D1... But yeah, do your research.

hks3sgte,

I think I addressed some of your comments earlier, but I agree...I think a lot of it has to do with year model, and possibly maintenance. We have not had any troubles with ours in the 6 years that we have owned it. I am pretty sure that '97 was one of the last years of the D1, so maybe they ironed out most of the bugs by them?

Thanks again for all of the responses.

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom