Bucket List Expedition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, Folks.

We are gearing up (literally, see pic below) for an approximate 4,000 mile trip from Georgia to the western States and thought we would start a post here. The map image summarizes the trip, but really does not account for all of the "firsts" we are destined to cross off:

- Never towed an RV
- Never wheeled in a desert
- Never wheeled in western mountain ranges
- Never dry camped o_O

MOAB2020.png

So this should be educational, at the least!

In a recent post, I had indicated we would be road tripping to the Moab area and asked the question, "if you only had a day in Canyonlands, what would you do"? Thanks to the many replies, we have a solid game plan for that park and are taking advantage of having the rig with us... Speaking of, we enjoy a 200 series vintage 2013, which is generally stock compared to many Mud members, of which i am a follower, a fan, and very thankful for their wisdom and willingness to share. We have upgraded the tires to ~33" BFG KO2's, and have a host of carry on accessories, including the following:

- Garmin InReach SatCom
- Deflator Kit
- Viair Compressor
- Factor 55 Kinetic rope + Soft Shackles
- Hitch Recovery Point
- MaxTrax MKII's
- Gaia - GPS
- Apple TV for the Kiddos
- RPod 191 (in tow)
- Weigh Safe Adjustable Hitch
- Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
- Jerry Cans (Gas and Water)
- Intex Inflatable Kayaks
- Way too much other stuff - see pic below of current situation in dining room... (My Wife says today, "I am so glad we are taking the minimalist approach!"

IMG_0489.jpg

We will be departing Georgia on September 10th and scheduled return is the 23rd. If anyone is planning to be in Moab between the 15th - 18th and is interested in meeting up, let us know. We are planning to do as much wheeling/ hiking as the kids can stand, but will likely be keeping it to the less complicated paths, given our experience and relatively minor mods to the truck (and my Wife has assured me, the best way to remain married is to get us home on plan)... So far, I have tagged the following in Moab:

- Canyonlands - Shafer trail, White Rim, Long Canyon Trail, Potash
- Moab (General) - Gemini Bridges, Onion Creek to the narrows, Dead Horse for a sundown
- UTV Day Rental - Fins & Things, Hell's Revenge
- Arches - ???
- Food - Must do's?

Advice on Arches "paths/ hikes less traveled" and Moab "must do/ good eats" is appreciated!

We found the high clearance 4x4 trail inside Arches to be really fun. It’ll take you to hidden arch. My daughter and I were the only ones there in Aug, had the place to ourselves. Epic. We also rented a UTV for Hells Revenge, very nice tour.
Also, since you’ve got kids, look up dinosaur tracks. They’re all over the Moab area, and some great ones are just off the highway. Mill canyon has a nice display. (Hint: if you walk further than the signage/display area, there are more tracks down the dry creek bed).
For food, we liked the BBQ place, I think it’s called the blue pig or something. It’s across from the brewery.
Good luck and hope you have a great time!

We found the high clearance 4x4 trail inside Arches to be really fun. It’ll take you to hidden arch. My daughter and I were the only ones there in Aug, had the place to ourselves. Epic. We also rented a UTV for Hells Revenge, very nice tour.
Also, since you’ve got kids, look up dinosaur tracks. They’re all over the Moab area, and some great ones are just off the highway. Mill canyon has a nice display. (Hint: if you walk further than the signage/display area, there are more tracks down the dry creek bed).
For food, we liked the BBQ place, I think it’s called the blue pig or something. It’s across from the brewery.
Good luck and hope you have a great time!
Thx! We followed your advice and was great!!

So you are towing a travel trailer? What are you going to do with it when you wheel?
We parked it for the week at Fisher Towers camping area. It was absolutely perfect and a gem if you can grab one of the 5 spots at that BLM site..

I’d recommend a RTT. You don’t have to deal with the trailer and can camp out on the trail. Plus, I loathe campgrounds. I want to get as far away from people as I can and find remote backcountry places to camp.

I’d recommend a RTT. You don’t have to deal with the trailer and can camp out on the trail. Plus, I loathe campgrounds. I want to get as far away from people as I can and find remote backcountry places to camp.

we have thought about that. I really don’t want to drive with the tent on every day... how difficult are they to install/ remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom