Brakes 79 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Few weeks ago the parking brake light started to show up some times. The brake fluid level was a bit low, so that caused the light I guess. Yesterday I changed the pads in the front and the shoes at the back. The old ones were quite worn out, maybe 2-3 mm left. I hoped that the brake fluid would rise to the max. level again, but it is still at the minimum. I can simply fill it to the maximum, but I want to know where the brake fluid went to.
I can't see any leaks or damage to the brake lines. Does anyone know what could have happened?

Thanks!

All you have done is closed up the gap between the shoe and the drum with a thicker brake lining. Nothing hocus pocus going on. But you may have a leak so slight its hard to see.
And the 5-6 mm you have added to the brake linings wouldnt push the fluid level up from min to max.
Is this a LJ79 or drum brake rear leaf sprung 79 series?

Thanks,
its a 2002 HZJ79 with leaf springs and drum brakes at the rear. (wish it had discs at the back as well, much easier to change... :banghead:)
I'lljust fill it up and and keep an eye on it for any leaks. Problem is that the weather is quite bad over here, and the bottom of the cruiser is covered in dirt all the time. Hard to check for leaks etc....

Things like wheel cylinders can never be 100% leak free. Each time they move a minute film of fluid escapes. And also, when the brake linings get thin the movement inside the wheel cylinder has to travel further if the adjusting mechanism is not doing its job.

Yesterday I got stuck quite heavily, the mud/clay was 30 cm above the rear axle I guess... When I got on the highway again, the brake indicator light on the dashboard started lighting up again. Last time when that happened was after getting stuck as well. Two weeks ago I changed all the pads, so that shouldn't be the problem. Does anyone know what could cause the problem? I can't see any leaks or damage to the brake lines, and the brake pedal acts normal.

Hello,

It may seem too obvious, but are your disks smooth? Scratched rotors make the calipers apply pressure unevenly, thus causing the warning light to turn on.

Brake lines and cylinders are sturdier than they look. Your rear cylinder can fail and you will not notice it until it is time for maintenance. Ask me how I know.

A few years ago I had a similar problem. The mechanics chased it to the front left disk. Some machining and the light was gone.

Juan

Last edited:
I think inadequate vacuum in the reservoir can make a brake light come on.. Check the wiring on the brake master cyl ,it maybe loose or have a bad earth.

I think any one of three things can make that light come on.
Hand brake up, low fluid in mc or not enough vacuum (vac leak).
I discovered I had a bad brake booster.

Last week i saw oil underneath my car, and it came from the brake pressure regulator! I didn't see it before, think the rubber cap held all the fluid, it was quite full. Today I changed the regulator, hope it is okay now. Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom