Brake Upgrade Feeler (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been a lurker for a long time, but finally decided to register! I've currently got a 2004 GX470 (6112/5160, GX460 brakes, rear coil conversion) and a 2019 GX460 (stock, family car).

One thing that seems to be a recurring issue with these trucks is the front brakes. The Toyota truck platforms all seem to be very sensitive to rotor runout, and coupled with the fact that Toyota sizes their brakes for conservative wheel sizes we end up with marginal brake systems. The warped rotors and frozen calipers are both symptoms of this design and engineering philosophy. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and having brakes sized for 17" wheels on a truck the size of ours is a compromise.

That said, I've been running down a few options and am curious what people here think. Some of the criteria I constrained these options with:

Must be able to utilize stock Toyota parts given a failure in case the aftermarket parts are not available.
Must be a substantial upgrade in heat capacity and rejection.
Must keep all vehicle electronic systems happy.

I've seen many people using drilled/slotted EBC rotors. I'm not a fan of these in this application. Vehicles that come with drilled/slotted rotors have those designed in as a part of the brake system from step one. They are nearly always fully floating rotors to minimize cracking at the stress risers the drilling creates; they are also cryo-treated to remove any stress from the manufacturing process. Further, the discs are sized so that the heat capacity of the rotor is still sufficient for the worst case scenario. Slotted rotors help with releasing gasses from pads; this is more useful but still of limited usefulness on our application. It doesn't have nearly the downsides of drilling, however.

Circling back to a point made in the previous paragraph there IS a technology that would allow for a large increase in heat capacity and heat rejection, and thereby allow for more aggressive use of the brakes without warping. That is to have a set of two-piece fully floating rotors made in stock (338x32mm) size. This allows for unconstrained expansion of the rotor when it heats, preventing warping due to the differential heating between the hat and the rotor. This allows the use of more aggressive, higher heat pads both due to the heat capacity as well as the better materials and heat rejection through better designed rotor venting. It also shaves a couple of pounds of unsprung weight as a bonus.

I've been in contact with a company that makes very high end braking parts and systems for professional applications, and they are interested in seeing if there is interest in something for our market. They looked into it in about 2010 and decided there was no market. That said, they want a minimum order quantity to tool up. I'm still looking into costs, but if it's in-line with their other applications it will be around $1,000 for the initial set and around $300 per friction disc for replacements, with replacements needed 1/2-1/3 as often as standard discs. Those numbers come from some communities that are VERY hard on their brakes and use these to replace stock high wear items (Porsche, BMW, Ferrari). The bigger buy in we can get the better price we could likely get.

Is this something that there would be takers on? If so I'd like to hear what your go/nogo price point would be and how many sets you would be interested in. Depending on the number of interested parties here I would be looking to set up distribution myself, as they don't typically sell to individuals. If there is enough interest (at least a dozen sets) I'll move forward in talks with the company.

I would appreciate any feedback; I know this is a fair amount of money on brake rotors. I figure that given the amount we spend on tires, bumpers, suspension, etc. that the safety systems could use some investment as well.

With the lack of response, I'm going to guess I'm the only one who feels like this part of the truck is worth investing in.

If anyone wants to revisit this feel free to let me know; I'm likely going to continue looking into it for myself at the least.

Sorry you didn't get much response - I do appreciate the amount of research that went into your post.

Just to give you some feedback. Here are the things I thought of while reading your proposal:

1. The reputable information I've read says that brake rotor warping is actually not a real thing, or at least very very uncommon, so it's not clear that this solution would solve the problem.

This was written by an engineer at Centric, which I believe is a Toyota OEM supplier:

If you have a better more reliable source with better info, I would genuinely love to read it.

2. Based on GXOR FB reports, sticking caliper is a VERY common problem on these systems, but it's not clear to me that the upgraded system you're proposing would fix that - would it come with calipers? If not, $1000 for just a set of rotors is about 5-10X even a nice regular set.

3. You said your system "allows the use of more aggressive pads" - but what is stopping us from running more aggressive pads on the stock system? Many people do - EBC of various color, or Hawk LTS or HD for example and they seem to work well.

4. After upgrading Pads and Rotors on stock systems, I do not see many people complaining about lack of stopping power unless they are extremely overloaded (thinking of Dan at 6000+ lbs AND towing a fully loaded trailer.

5. I'm not convinced of your original thesis - That the factory brakes are very undersized as a trade-off for wheel size. As far as I know all factory 70 series LCs come with 16 inch wheels, which use a brake caliper very very similar to ours on an even smaller wheel. They sell that truck in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, to mining companies and the like across Africa and Australia that have to work reliably for actual work every day, not just for fun. If the brakes were not capable they would have changed them by now, IMO.

Again, I don't mean to be negative - I fully support investing in brakes and I appreciate your work.

Excellent points. Also, that's not a Centric engineer, that's Carroll Smith (hence the "Consulting Engineer" title). His books are still widely used in racing.

I suppose I'm guilty of oversimplifying the situation and using more commonly understood terms, so I'll break down why this could help (and why there is absolutely another step to be taken in concert with this) in a more technical manner.

When I say that the brakes are undersized for the application we use them in, I specifically mean that the thermal capacity of the rotor we have is too low to handle the amount of thermal energy we put into them without causing temperatures that exceed the stable temperature range of the brake pads in use by your average driver. This excessive temperature is what causes the breakdown of the resins in the pads and results in pad deposits. It also causes the "belling" of the rotors that Carroll Smith mentions, which I'll come back to (and is relevant to our situation).

If we use the Five Why's of Root Cause Analysis it will lead us down the appropriate path:
Why do we get brake judder? Pad deposits.
Why do we get pad deposits? Thermal breakdown of the pads resulting in deposits on the rotor.
Why do we get the thermal breakdown of the pads? Exceeding the pads effective temperature range.
Why do we exceed the pads effective temperature range? Too little thermal mass to absorb the energy and maintain the thermal range we desire and/or too little cooling to maintain that temperature.

We really only need four Why's to hit the issue in this case, but it's always a good exercise.

As far as how we solve this issue, we can go to more thermal mass, which requires larger rotors. Toyota did this in the transition from the GX470 to GX460 by increasing rotor thickness by 5mm. They did this without increasing the diameter so that they could maintain the 17" wheel size. Regarding your note about other areas not seeing issues, this is for two reasons:

Most other countries use these trucks at much slower speeds and with lower power engines, meaning they do not thermally load the brakes as highly. Also, these trucks are lighter overseas than here in the US (by several hundred pounds).

Take a truck that travels at 45mph and one that travels at 90 and you are dissipating four times the energy for the same weight. In other words, for the same weight we get four panic stops for one. That's an extreme example, but in general other countries both have less weight and lower speeds. Brake systems that are perfectly fine there end up being marginal in the US.

As for how these rotors could alleviate the issue: Using better materials allows for more thermal mass in the same space; further it allows for more effective cooling through optimized air channels within the rotor. This allows for lower temperature spikes, and faster temperature drops. This allows us to use more aggressive pads that will put more heat into the rotors faster by being more grabby and that are thermally stable to higher temperatures.

The "belling" of the rotors that Carroll Smith mentions is also another aspect. As you mentioned, brake pistons seizing are an even more common problem. This is caused by corrosion and thermal cycling of the brake components. When heated the braking system components expand. If the rotor is belled the pads will apply dissimilar forces on the brake pistons, and will cause them to deflect in their bores. This, coupled with the corrosion, is what I believe causes the seized calipers. By lowering and shortening the temperature spikes, and eliminating the belling of the rotor, I believe the issue with the calipers will be alleviated.

The final piece of the puzzle would be a thermal barrier to reduce the heat transferred into the calipers. I saw someone here machined Titanium pistons and that's a fantastic idea, as were the thermal barrier shims he installed and the air scoops. I think air scoops, a thermal barrier shim, and the floating rotors could quite possibly solve the issue completely.

Wow, great info - Thanks!

Do you think the 460 rotors area really that much better? or just marginally better?

People get mediocre or poor resulting pedal feel after upgrading those on the 470. I know thats not as important, but its a consideration.

Do you have some pictures of these thermal barrier shims and air scoops? I've never heard of such a thing - cant really even picture it.

Also - I am still wondering, is your proposed group buy for rotors only? or rotors and calipers?

Bought a set of heavy duty Powerstops for our 470 and immediately noticed they run circles around the OEM factory setup--which isn't hard to do but it is the WAY they do it and with the factory blah calipers that impresses me. They don't fade, I experience none of the squishy or "poor" pedal feel and absolutely have phenomenal highway speed panic stop performance. At slow city street speeds they stop on a dime. They've saved us from two bad collisions already as well. So, sadly, I'm not convinced a set of $1,000 brakes (or just for rotors..?) will get me more out of what I got from my Powerstops.

Thanks for the read and for putting in the effort OP, however I cannot justify that sort of price for something I'm not sure is better than what is already available. Like I said, my Powerstops are pretty brilliant and the whole set was under $380 with sales tax on Amazon and I didn't even have to switch to 460 front calipers either for this sort of performance. So, I'll be getting a set of Powerstops similar to these on my 460 as well.

Bought a set of heavy duty Powerstops for our 470 and immediately noticed they run circles around the OEM factory setup--which isn't hard to do but it is the WAY they do it and with the factory blah calipers that impresses me. They don't fade, I experience none of the squishy or "poor" pedal feel and absolutely have phenomenal highway speed panic stop performance. At slow city street speeds they stop on a dime. They've saved us from two bad collisions already as well. So, sadly, I'm not convinced a set of $1,000 brakes (or just for rotors..?) will get me more out of what I got from my Powerstops.

Thanks for the read and for putting in the effort OP, however I cannot justify that sort of price for something I'm not sure is better than what is already available. Like I said, my Powerstops are pretty brilliant and the whole set was under $380 with sales tax on Amazon and I didn't even have to switch to 460 front calipers either for this sort of performance. So, I'll be getting a set of Powerstops similar to these on my 460 as well.
Did you buy JUST Powerstop rotors or other Powerstop components, as well?

Did you buy JUST Powerstop rotors or other Powerstop components, as well?

I bought this kit:

Amazon product ASIN B005UB5WQG
I’m rather pleased the OEM calipers still perform well, I still want to replace them just as a preventative measure, but so far so good. :)

I bought this kit:

Amazon product ASIN B005UB5WQG
I’m rather pleased the OEM calipers still perform well, I still want to replace them just as a preventative measure, but so far so good. :)
Thanks! 2 questions: I've always found that, when I departed from OEM pads, I was usually disappointed with cold stopping ability (I had a set once that was downright scary when cold). How have you found them to be first stop in the morning? Also, I've found aftermarket drilled and/or slotted rotors to be noisy (like buzzing across the pads when stopping). Have you experienced any noise?

Thanks again!

Thanks! 2 questions: I've always found that, when I departed from OEM pads, I was usually disappointed with cold stopping ability (I had a set once that was downright scary when cold). How have you found them to be first stop in the morning? Also, I've found aftermarket drilled and/or slotted rotors to be noisy (like buzzing across the pads when stopping). Have you experienced any noise?

Thanks again!

It’s been in the upper 20’s when I took our daughter to daycare a week ago or so. I noticed no cold stopping loss or any other cold weather adverse effects. As for the noise, I hear none. Perhaps the superior sound deafening the 470 has is muffling it so I’ll drive with the windows down to check it out.

From everything I have read- it seems to be a caliper, rotor, pad issue with the biggest benefit in performance coming from going to the upgraded 460 caliper. I get a bit of shudder under hard braking and the pads and rotors where replaced not long ago. Which leads me to believe it is a caliper issue. I am buying new gx460 calipers, pads(aftermarket) and rotors(aftermarket) soon. Lots of info out there regarding this issue and it is pretty well documented if you search around. All in I should be around 500 in parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom