Brake caliper problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all, finished up my knuckles and put new pads and rotors, but this thing was neglected for quite some time by PO. The driver rotor was completely shot from the brake pad metal digging into it. I noticed only the outside pad was worn and the inside pad looked almost new. Do I need to rebuild or replace the caliper?

2373934A-7DF5-4076-9E7B-CCE6789F6E05.jpeg

979EDD1B-6FD6-49CC-8750-FAC91B358D66.jpeg

Hey y’all, finished up my knuckles and put new pads and rotors, but this thing was neglected for quite some time by PO. The driver rotor was completely shot from the brake pad metal digging into it. I noticed only the outside pad was worn and the inside pad looked almost new. Do I need to rebuild or replace the caliper?

View attachment 3360299

View attachment 3360300
Yes, half the caliper is sticking.

Replace caliper and possibly hoses.

View attachment 3360299

View attachment 3360300
Can rebuild them if they are oem at least that's what I would do if you know how .

A rebuild kit (04479-60020) it available from Toyota:
1687975688788.png

1687975730961.png

For $40, it's hard to argue that replacing the calipers is the best solution, but it does depend on your resources and time.

The aftermarket pad kits are supposed to come with springs and pins, but even if they do, they're not the quality the Toyota kits are.

It's hard to tell from your photos whether the problem is the pistons or the sliding pins, or both. You won't know whether rebuilding is practical (I have no idea what your resources are) until you remove the pistons and and inspect the bores. Replacing is easier, certainly, but not the only option.

It's vital that the sliding pins allow the caliper to move freely; it it doesn't you wind up with the pad wear you have now.

If you get rebuilt ones you need to look at the pins and check under the boots on the pistons to make sure they are good rebuilds. They are easy to rebuild but it is messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom