Body paint recommendations in Virginia? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The paint on my '98 LC is pretty rough in several spots, and it was evidently previously painted at some point in its life. It's white and has clear coat yellowing in spots, and from what I've gathered, Toyota did not use clear coat for the OEM white paint originally.

I have called a few places around Lynchburg and Roanoke for estimates (no formal quotes yet) and just for repainting with Toyota Super White 040, it looks like $8-10K is the range I've gotten for most. And maybe that's just the price to pay now for a good quality job. But it's also way outside my budget for anytime in the near future, so just wanted ask if anyone had recommendations that are not that crazy high, without going through Maaco route!

Watching as I am curious also. I have a 1991 and not sure if the clearcoat is failing or if the paint itself is the issue. I have read on here that some early models in white did not have clearcoat applied.

Last edited:
The paint on my '98 LC is pretty rough in several spots, and it was evidently previously painted at some point in its life. It's white and has clear coat yellowing in spots, and from what I've gathered, Toyota did not use clear coat for the OEM white paint originally.

I have called a few places around Lynchburg and Roanoke for estimates (no formal quotes yet) and just for repainting with Toyota Super White 040, it looks like $8-10K is the range I've gotten for most. And maybe that's just the price to pay now for a good quality job. But it's also way outside my budget for anytime in the near future, so just wanted ask if anyone had recommendations that are not that crazy high, without going through Maaco route!

That price sounds insane.

Do you own or rent a house? If so, you could buy a cheap carport type thing, cover the sides with tarps or clear plastic from the paint section at HD, maybe rent a compressor (or buy one) and do it yourself. Harbor Freight has stuff that's good as long as you're not doing it commercially/every day on end. I got a spray pant gun for like $20 there.

Another option is maybe renting a storage unit where you can put your FJ in and do it there. You could line the walls and floor with that same cheap plastic clear tarp from the hardware store. Just have to be sure your over spray isn;t gonna get into the other units or on vehicles outside.

Or a friend can let you do it on his property for a few days.

There's also companies that will mix up aerosol cans of real car paint. They're like $30+ each can, but still cheaper-by far-than what you're being quoted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom