Black Bear Pass Co? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a trip in August out to Co for Imogene, Black bear, pikes peak and a few others. From all the videos I see Black bear pass looks extremely easy. But I keep seeing people and trail reports talk about is as being "Extreme" and "difficult" Been a lifelong wheeler here on actual hard trails where you need actual built trail rigs like the Rubicon, Fordyce and the Hammers and Moab. This seems nothing of the sort and damn near 2wd doable..

So far from what I have seen it looks a little puckery from the drop offs and a few switchbacks but super simple. Taking my 2019 4runner and see no reason why I would be tearing it up or having any issue.

Folks that have run it am I missing something? Give me your thoughts please. thanks in advance..

Its not a hard trail. The worst is the off camber corner you have to round above the waterfall. I hear its eroded a bit so you have to point your truck at the edge and work your way over the ridge. Last year a 4runner i believe rolled over trying to stay parallel to the wall. I can see where folks with the rooftop craze and a lot of rooftop weight could get into trouble.

There is also a switch back that is very difficult without a spotter. You need to go to the edge and then back up to the wall to make the corner.

Personally there are better trails out in that area. I like Imogene and engineer much more than black bear but i guess its a "i have to do it" requirement.

A bunch of fun stuff in Montrose / Grand junction if you are looking for harder trails.

I’ve been off roading / rock crawling and doing it all since about 1996. For me, Prichet canyon ( moab) makes me nervous, so When I did black bear pass last year, i found it a very enjoyable, scenic drive with no areas that needed a spotter or getting out to analyze things. from the sound of it, you have a lot of Driving experience as well. You should find black bear pass and any other trail up there an enjoyable, relaxing and scenic drive. Have fun.

I’ve been off roading / rock crawling and doing it all since about 1996. For me, Prichet canyon ( moab) makes me nervous, so When I did black bear pass last year, i found it a very enjoyable, scenic drive with no areas that needed a spotter or getting out to analyze things. from the sound of it, you have a lot of Driving experience as well. You should find black bear pass and any other trail up there an enjoyable, relaxing and scenic drive. Have fun.
Awesome, yea I live 1.5 hrs from fordyce and 2.5 from the rubicon and have spent a lot of time there over the last 30 years. Just doing scenic stuff so it sounds about right for the 4runner.. thanks again.

Black bear is cool and all but Imogene is where it is at, way more fun stuff and better views.

black bear to telluride, have lunch- Imogene to Ouray have dinner.... full day of some great views and some nice easy trials

@Pat4wd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom