Bj74 rear window demister not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all my rear window demister has not worked since I got the truck and with winter on the way again I would like to get it sorted. I have power to the switch and power out but nothing at the rear window. I have been trying to find where the relay is as I suspect this is the culprit. Does anyone know where it's located? ?

I would also check where the wiring goes into the door.

Yeah I've checked both Windows at the terminals and one side had half a volt and the other .8 of a volt. That's why my guess was the relay but I cant locate the dam thing.

Hello,

Your defogger wires may be broken.

With the ignition switch in ON, turn on the defogger.

Wrap some tin foil in the negative tip of a multimeter and press it with one finger against the vertical section of the window wiring.

Then measure the voltage of the horizontal wires, placing the positive multimeter tip in the middle. If your multimeter reads 0 V or 10 10 V, then the wire is broken. If the multimeter reads approximately 5 V, then the wire is good.

Move the negative tip to the broken section of the wire and continue measuring voltage to pinpoint the damage location.

Use conductive paint to repair the broken wire. Electronic supplies stores are your friend.

Juan

Hello,

I forgot something.

The voltage values above are good for a 12 V system. A BJ74 is likely to have 24 V electrics. My guess: values should be higher. Maybe 0 V / 20 V for a bad wire, around 10 V for a good wire.

Not entirely sure about it, though.

Juan

Hello,

Your defogger wires may be broken.

With the ignition switch in ON, turn on the defogger.

Wrap some tin foil in the negative tip of a multimeter and press it with one finger against the vertical section of the window wiring.

Then measure the voltage of the horizontal wires, placing the positive multimeter tip in the middle. If your multimeter reads 0 V or 10 10 V, then the wire is broken. If the multimeter reads approximately 5 V, then the wire is good.

Move the negative tip to the broken section of the wire and continue measuring voltage to pinpoint the damage location.

Use conductive paint to repair the broken wire. Electronic supplies stores are your friend.

Juan
Hi would that be why there's no voltage in the wires that clip to the glass? When I disconnect the wires to the glass and test with a multimeter that's where I get my 0.5 volt reading

I did not see a relay shown in the wiring diagram.
I can't be 100% sure this is the right diagram tho'.

page 4

Attachments

• Wiring Diagrams.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 61
I'm 99% sure that he switch handles the current. No relay on my PZJ75

Do you have a demister on the rear window? I haven't seen that on an Australian model.

I could not find a relay after a 10 minute look.

Hi would that be why there's no voltage in the wires that clip to the glass? When I disconnect the wires to the glass and test with a multimeter that's where I get my 0.5 volt reading

Hello,

A 0.5 V reading suggests the wire is broken somewhere.

There is no relay in this circuit.

Do you have the problem on both windows? Sometimes the wiring on one windows breaks while the other is still functional.

Juan

Hello,

A 0.5 V reading suggests the wire is broken somewhere.

There is no relay in this circuit.

Do you have the problem on both windows? Sometimes the wiring on one windows breaks while the other is still functional.

Juan

Hi yeah its both Windows not working. Maybe a dodgy switch? It does have power coming out of the switch tho?

Hello,

Voltage in the defogger switch reads around 12 V if I remember correctly. The little bulb inside the switch should read around 12 V as well -yes, I tinkered with that bugger for curiosity's sake. I might be stating the obvious here, but for a BJ74 it should read around 24 V (the BJ74s I have seen were all 24 V.)

If the switch does provide power, you should check the wire connectors in both doors. I just remembered they corrode over time and lose contact. Clean them and measure voltage. If there is no voltage, check the harness for continuity. Otherwise, check the wires.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom