BJ74 hard vibration right after first gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting a hard vibration right when my Auto BJ74 passes 1st gear, i press the gas a bit harder and the car runs normal? Has this happened to anybody?

Is it in the transmission, engine or steering?

You have to get under there and have a look. Look for movement in the uni joints, maybe try pumping some grease into the uni joints and splines.
Is there any modifications that have been done to the suspension?
My first thoughts are you have a death wobble. In that case it usually means having the castor corrected, cheap and simple.
Also, have a look at the engine and gearbox mounts and see what condition the rubber is in, another easy fix if its broken
You will have to do some leg work because its difficult to diagnose without seeing it.

You have to get under there and have a look. Look for movement in the uni joints, maybe try pumping some grease into the uni joints and splines.
Is there any modifications that have been done to the suspension?
My first thoughts are you have a death wobble. In that case it usually means having the castor corrected, cheap and simple.
Also, have a look at the engine and gearbox mounts and see what condition the rubber is in, another easy fix if its broken
You will have to do some leg work because its difficult to diagnose without seeing it.
Thanks rosco! I have an OMU 2.5 lift shocks and leaf springs with an OMU steering stabilizer. Yea that’s what one of my buddys said could be the engine mounts I’ll have to give those a look, everything looks pretty greased up under the car. I’m sure it’s something minor

Gearsticks often move around more than normal with bad engine/gearbox mounts.
I use a small crowbar to lever the engine. This usually shows if the rubber in the mount has split. Also look for oil damaged mounts

Gearsticks often move around more than normal with bad engine/gearbox mounts.
I use a small crowbar to lever the engine. This usually shows if the rubber in the mount has split. Also look for oil damaged mounts
I think I found the problem! The engine mounts were good then went under the car and checked all the Ujoints. The u joint that connects from the front drive shaft to the transfer case wiggles a bit when you shake it. I’m pretty sure that’s what’s causing the vibrations.

I think I found the problem! The engine mounts were good then went under the car and checked all the Ujoints. The u joint that connects from the front drive shaft to the transfer case wiggles a bit when you shake it. I’m pretty sure that’s what’s causing the vibrations.

Assuming you have operational free-wheeling front hubs of some sort that front driveshaft should only turn (& possibly vibrate) in 4wd.

Cheers
Clint

Assuming you have operational free-wheeling front hubs of some sort that front driveshaft should only turn (& possibly vibrate) in 4wd.

Cheers

Cheers
Clint
yea man I have the free/lock front hubs and I’m getting the vibration in 2wd

Put that front UJ on the list for later... Could be a rear one also though, no doubt you've already given them a wiggle, but make sure the driveline is unloaded when you do, 2wd, transfer case in neutral, jack a rear wheel off the ground so you can spin everything & give the UJ's a good wiggle in a few different positions.

It could also be 4wd not disengaging so check that is shifting out properly, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft by hand when in 2wd with the hubs out.

Cheers
Clint

Put that front UJ on the list for later... Could be a rear one also though, no doubt you've already given them a wiggle, but make sure the driveline is unloaded when you do, 2wd, transfer case in neutral, jack a rear wheel off the ground so you can spin everything & give the UJ's a good wiggle in a few different positions.

It could also be 4wd not disengaging so check that is shifting out properly, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft by hand when in 2wd with the hubs out.

Cheers
Clint
Thanks brother! Did all that this morning the only u joint that gave a little play was the front one going into the transmission. The vibration is really hard at 1200 rpms, super cheap fix so might do that soon

If its in 2wd, the front uni joint would not make it vibrate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom