BJ73 interior restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Felde said:​

"In cavities such stuff (e.g. Permafilm) is great, but on exposed areas, I wouldn't do it again, but rather go for a decent paintjob."

It seems that you're right Herr Kollege Felde...
Cheers, Demetrios

That's also almost a religious question.
There are multiple products out there.
State if the art for internal cavities are products with penetrating capabilities, combined with the abilityto stick to even surfaces. Wax, even when heated, doesn't do that. Greasy products, e.g. FluidFilm or MikeSanders, do a better job in cavities.

For exposed areas, probably even seeing water and dust (e.g. frame), a soft & sticky surface would not be helpful as it would attract dirt and probably erode. Here a product that eventually dries up and forms a firm surface is more desirable.

For cavities that have already some rust in it, a layered approach is recommended: A highly penetrating product first, then a sealing & protecting product. There are compatible products available, e.g. FluidFilm + Permafilm.
For crevasses, I recommend Owatrol: It first penetrates and then cures.

Be aware:
- Correct application is crucial but difficult. Many products need to be sprayed heated and with a professional gun and probe .
- It is a hughe mess.
I recommend a professional shop to have it done.
- Some products need a rather long time (weeks) to first penetrate and then cure. If you use the rig and dirt sticks to it during that period, you will end up with a nasty look and never get rid of it again (Happened to me).
- Anyways: You will never get rid of the stuff again!
- The stuff is flammable. Welding on a treated vehicle is risky.

I applied Mike Sanders to my body cavities, which is fine, and Permafilm to my frame, floor panels and wheel wells, which does look ugly.
In cavities such stuff is great, but on exposed areas, I wouldn't do it again, but rather go for a decent paintjob.
Good Luck Ralf
Thanks a lot for your comprehensive answer!
I know how it feels to have a frame and underside of body panels treated with something (don't know what it is, but looks ugly and seems to be difficult to get rid of), because the PO has done it. I wouldn't do it myself again, I'd go for repainting as well. :)
For now I'm only thinking about internal cavities, and they are in a good shape overall, no rust, at least in the parts which are still original. :D They were treated with something as well, but it smells ugly (I hope it's not something else :D ) and I'm trying to clean it a bit. I'm thinking of replacing it with some fresh product. I ordered Fluid Film Gel BN for now. Theoretically it says it can be used in cavities, but I'll see. Main purpose at the moment is to protect hinges, bolts on body parts, etc. If it doesn't stick to surfaces, I'll probably order Mike Sanders as you suggested.

Have a nice weekend!

Mike Sanders and FluidFilm Gel BN are about the same consistency. Both don't cure.
You can't get either of it into cavities without heating, spraying, messing around.
For hinges, bolts, body parts (not exposed) Gel BN is great 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom