Wanted BJ71 starter or rebuild kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

doughboy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,

I'm have a 1989 BJ71 with the 13BT. I need a 24V starter for it or a rebuild kit? Looks like Toyota doesn't make them anymore.

Thanks,
Angelo

Do not get this model (18181n) that Onur was advertising as compatible with a 1989 13BT this spring. I can tell you after a really frustrating experience and zero support that it does not work (full disclosure, I waited way too long -6 weeks- to install it but I would have thought I’d get some help of some kind).

This is what I’m going to buy next but now I’ve got a $200 paperweight. FWIW the 18181n might be ok for 3Bs but I don’t know. The 13BT fuel pump seemed to be the problem for fitment. Sucks to get sold a bum part though.

Do not get this model (18181n) that Onur was advertising as compatible with a 1989 13BT this spring. I can tell you after a really frustrating experience and zero support that it does not work (full disclosure, I waited way too long -6 weeks- to install it but I would have thought I’d get some help of some kind).

This is what I’m going to buy next but now I’ve got a $200 paperweight. FWIW the 18181n might be ok for 3Bs but I don’t know. The 13BT fuel pump seemed to be the problem for fitment. Sucks to get sold a bum part though.
Do you know if that one will work, or will there be issues? I don't know anything about that site. I know a guy that's selling a used one but they want more then I'm currently willing to pay.

From what I can tell the cross reference numbers all match up and are consistent with the 18181n not working and the one linked appears to work (based on part #s). It is from the same supplier for both models from what I can see. Probably wouldn’t hurt to send them an email before ordering though.

Last edited:
I’d try to see if a local shop can rebuild yours. Most of the time it’s the contacts or plunger that go bad and the rest of the unit is ok. I’ve had trouble finding a source for the contacts to rebuild my Toyota one though. They are not hard to rebuild.

My starter part number (89 bj74) is: 28100-56181
That is listed as an application in the link I posted above.

Thanks guys, I'll give the rare electric one a shot and see what happens.

My solenoid got stuck on and the little gear thingy wouldn't pop back in and the flywheel was spinning that gear. Then there was smoke, chaos, people screaming and running. With my sloth like reflexes, I popped the hood, disconnected the battery and it killed it.

I then reconnected the battery and it was still engaged and started my engine, with my keys on my seat, and it ran for 15 ish seconds.

Yep, sounds like your solenoid plunger got stuck and might have spot welded the contacts together a little. Same thing happened to mine a few years ago! It’s unnerving to say the least. Good argument for a battery kill switch with how these starter solenoids seem to fail in the closed position.

I took it apart, cleaned and lubed the plunger, and polished the contacts smooth again. It worked for another 3 years before doing the same thing again this spring.

i see a bunch if part numbers above that don't correlate in any way ?

PM me or post your MODLE ID code and frame # off your DATA ID plate and i will dig into this topic , if a CORRECT applicating one exists i will find it ,

if one does not ?

i will clearly state that in this thread ....

- i do not play rain dear games with my clients or there parts after the fact , like some mention above ...........

(1) - Copy - Copy.png

DSCN9779 - Copy2.png

What do you mean do not correlate, Matt?
28100-56181:
852214B7-076D-45E8-956A-F529266D7DA7.jpeg

18181n is rare electrics PN for a replacement starter that Onur was selling this spring. I was cautioning against getting that one because it will not fit an 89 13BT.

The other link is an aftermarket starter that lists the Toyota PN above as a cross reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom