BJ70 Japan Year Identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a BJ70 that was imported into Costa Rica, and was originally from Japan, and carries a VIN number BJ700010225, and is equipped with a 4.2 L 1HZ engine serial number 1845682, and 5 speed manual transmission.

I know that this engine/trans is likely from a later model vehicle. It would be great to determine the year of the chassis and the year of the engine in this vehicle so it would be easier to match up parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the link gotoy. However this model does not follow this serial number series. I think it has something to do with the fact that it was first registered in Japan.

There should be an ID plate on the firewall it has engine/drivetrain body/trim numbers on it give us the numbers on that plate.
the body and frame would be a BJ70 with a 1HZ swap

This unit is missing the plate on the firewall - if it ever had one. I only have the chassis and engine number to go with. Thanks for your help.

I am more than happy with the larger engine. It must be from a later model - perhaps an HZ75?

HZ came stock in the shorties after 1989

This unit is missing the plate on the firewall - if it ever had one. .

They all had body plates after the late 1970s AFAIK

Parts will be the same for all 1HZ engines from 90-98/99.The 1HZ didnt change much even after 99.

The engine could be from any 7* series,80 series possibly 100/105 series(which would make it post 99) and it could also be from a Toyota Coaster bus.

Is it 12v or 24v?

Thanks for the info on the timeline for the 1HZ engine. My vehicle has a 12V system.

Pull out the seatbelt all the way out or look for a white tag on it near the mounting points . It wall have the year printed on it as its a safety reg item

The engine should have a serial number on the left side, somewhere near the dipstick.

(EDIT: Just noticed you already have it listed in your first post)

Not sure if you can work out the original vehicle that the engine was fitted to, build date, etc., from that?

Hi xspire,

I have the same thing going on with my vin and frame number. Mine is a MWB BJ74 with 13BT engine but the frame and vin read BJ70XXXXXX. Cant remember the rest of the numbers but the id plate and frame numbers match. If you get to the bottom of the mystery I would like to know. Mine was first registered in 1986.

Cheers,

Gav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom