BJ70 Engine upgrade 3b, 13b, 14b or 15b??? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All!

I'm new to the forum however have spent the last 8 hours scouring for information about BJ70's and engine swaps.

I'm absolutely impressed by the amount of knowledge being shared and have learnt an absolute ton already.

My joining the forum tonight is out of urgent necessity, I need help and guidance on selecting an engine.

Background:

I had an issue on NYE in my BJ70 ('87) : Basically I cooked it because I was too busy arguing with Telstra on the phone rather than paying attention to the temp gauge during the 41 degree heat!!! I popped a small coolant hose and mistook the subsequent drop in water temp indication as being a sign of engine relief from me backing off the throttle... rather than the temp sender now being in free-air and not picking up the true temp!!!!

Long story short, the 'cruiser and I made the trip back home on a tow-truck because although it initially seized, when it cooled down and freed up, it had developed a curious amount of bubbles in the coolant system and also water in the cylinders....

ANYWAY, bright opportunities await:

It needs a new engine, it needs it ASAP!!!

We can either swap the 3B for an refreshed version ... or .... UPGRADE!!!

The 3B is an excellent workhorse, it has carried me into, and out of, many a tricky situation without missing a beat. But it lacks the oompf to get itself out onto the highway into the traffic without having waiting for a 2 kilometre car-free opportunity for me to get it up to velocity and not get cleaned up. It is also seriously affected by hills and having a roof rack further reduces it's already comical aerodynamic design.

For these reasons I've always wanted to retrofit something a little more beefier. Up until today I wanted to go Turbo, but after some discussion and research (coupled with memories of invoices for turbo replacement/damage work on Nissan patrols) we have decided that normally aspirated is for us. (My dad and I share my cruiser, he drives it daily and maintains it as I'm out of the country most of the time).

Making the choice:

Shooting for the top - The numbers seem to work out that a 15B is the same as a 13BT. So we get reliability AND power (in that comparison). Cost of the engine is higher than a 3B, but not out of reach.

The 13B and 14B seem to offer the same benefits, but with incrementally less power than the 15B.

One of the main considerations though is that it has to be fairly easy to install.

We don't mind doing some custom mod work, but don't have an arsenal of tools and have an (unofficial) timeline of 1-2 weeks from today to complete.

I understand from my research today that the 3B, 13B, 14B and 15B all share the same block and should bolt to the mounts ok. I also understand that they should all bolt directly to my current bell-housing and fit the gearbox without issue(?). But I am guessing that there will be some other work that will have to be done (Wiring, plumbing etc).

Is anyone able to give any guidance or comment about the ease of installing any of these 3 engines into the BJ70?

I was able to find some info about a 14B into a BJ70 in the forums and it didn't sound to bad, but am curious about the 15B. If I can be fairly sure it will be easy enough to tackle, I'll get one delivered tomorrow.

Whichever way, I'll post updates on selection and installation.

Apologies for the long post, but thanks in advance for any input anyone is able to offer!!!

Best Regards

Well, for ease of install, I'd say the 13B or 13-BT would be the easiest and came in the 70 series chassis ala the BJ-71 and BJ-74.

The 14 and 15 are less common and availability of parts may be an issue.

edit, depending on where the motor came from and what you have on your truck, you'll have the 12/24 volt issue also:grinpimp:

Last edited:
Thanks phrogg4evr for your input! I suspected that may be the case, and the 13B would certainly still be an improvement on the 3B.

I'll certainly be trying to get any info I can showing the plumbing of the other engine types, hopefully I can get to one in person. But if anyone has any pictures or info it would be greatly appreciated!

troll around over in the diesel section also, more specific info there too;)

Cheers, I'll dig around in there also.

Am excited about having a new powerplant in the old girl, she's got just under 1/2million k's under her belt and is due for a birthday.

I'm confident that doing an upgrade shouldn't involve too much in the way of customisation...

Hi. I have a toyota bj40 with a 14b engine, and I wanted to know if anyone could help me. I need to get a part of the 14b-t engine, to adapt it to my engine, but I need the exact model of the vehicle that assembles the 14b-t engine, or the rack number ... thank you ..

Toyota Dyna/Toyoace 89-95ish

Good luck with the swap. I had a turbo installed on a 3b. Very happy with results. 120km/hr on highway. Actually pass people and lots of torque for trails.

Hi. I have a toyota bj40 with a 14b engine, and I wanted to know if anyone could help me. I need to get a part of the 14b-t engine, to adapt it to my engine, but I need the exact model of the vehicle that assembles the 14b-t engine, or the rack number ... thank you ..

Might be easier to tell us which part you need.

upload_2018-3-3_23-7-57.jpeg
I need the input curve to the intake manifold

Part number is 17861-58010 Connector, Air Intake and the gasket that goes with it 17849-58010

and its off a
1992 TOYOTA DYNA 200 (BU96L-MDDTX3)

Double check what you are ordering. I'm wondering if it needs the manifold?
I see the after market kits are bolting the turbo on in that spot.

Last edited:
Well, I hope that with this reference number. I can locate the piece I'm looking for. I'll take it to Toyota, official, if you can locate it. These engines were not marketed in the Canary Islands and it is difficult to find pieces. Only the 14b, and not many ... Thank you very much for the information. If I need something else, we are in contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom