Birfield Click? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
OK ya'll quick question for your opinions...

Going uphill (15+ Degrees) off road I get an occasionsal high pitched clicking which seems to come from the front end. It's not the "popping" sound that normal birfield wear indicates. Could this still be a birf?

-H- ???

I get a bird like tweet when driving on a road with bumps. It is front and rear. I have had that noise on the toyo mini too. Does it make that noise with the brakes on? My guess it the brake pads move and make a tweet. I don't have the anti squeel shims on my pads.
kurt

Just one more "make sure it's not the brakes"

When I did my birf job a few months back, I saw that my front calipers needed a rebuild. Couple of my pads were wearing at a slant. Went ahead and put everything back together, but may have not put the pads back exactly where they came from. Over the next few weeks (before I put on rebuilt calipers and new pads), I'd get a high-pitched clicking sound when I'd turn. I knew it wasn't the birfs because the sound was obviously not coming from something immersed in grease. Knew it was the brakes because when I'd hear the sound while turning, it would go away if I hit the brakes soft enough to just get the calipers to compress the pads to the rotors, not hard enough to stop.

After I replaced the calipers and pads, silence. Well, that is except for the screaming moron behind the wheel. ;)

O.K. A couple of goofy questions. Was the center diff locked? At what speed was the noise (e.g. tire rotation, drive shaft rotation)? It's the front drive shaft that is new right, are the u-joints greased well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom