Bio diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apparently I missed the memo.....no more B50, or anything except B5? WTF!!!!

Since I'm a transit commuter now, I haven't had to fill up that often anymore, and today I cruised by my old workplace which was conveniently located near the fuel station on Marine and Byrne in Burnaby. I stopped in to top up on my favourite gogo juice of B50, and was informed they only had B5 now.
I then had to head to Tillbury, where there was another bio station (same company) below the Alex Fraser bridge, but yet again...no more beloved B50.
They had a sign stating that beginning in January of 2010, our govt added something like 11 cents a litre to bio diesel. I don't remember hearing anythging about this, so I am quite pissed, and confused.
So, aside from driving us to make it in our own garages (if I had a garage), can one get B50 or other mixes anywhere in the lower mainland now?

I stopped making the drive a while ago. It just wasn't worth it compared to the price out in the valley for dino. Funny the tax break was from the provincial government. The Liberals were just recently making a big fuss about how bio was going to be so green and how they were going to promote green energy. Guess the little bit being sold was crimping their need for tax revenue to pay for all the Olympic costs. For the companies making it, they don't loose anything from not having a local market. The is very big world-wide. Europe alone will buy all the bio made in the world. I believe all the bio produced in BC was from waste fat, so technically speaking it is greener than the majority of bio in the world which manly comes from oil crops like African Palms being grown on productive land other than food crops.

I'm not sure why you guys bother with Bio. It often cost more than regular diesel and doesn't do much more.

I prefer to simply blend Veggie oil with my diesel (for summer use). I've been blending 25-50% without any mods and my truck loves it (same truck as Canucks).

Enigma (or anyone else), if you're in Burnaby I could probably help you with some oil (near Metrotown).

Cheers.
David

Fair enough, I guess I'm bias as I have WVO which usually retails at 1/2 the pump price and does the same if not better than Bio... I'll be gone traveling for most of June and July but if you wanna try some veggie to see how it goes drop me a line in August and I'll give you some. Nothing better than first hand experience!

Cheers!
David

What does the 'W' stand for, in WVO? I went down there too, to get some 20%, I like the smell better too. It pissed me off too, that the government taxed it beyond being competitive, than dino? It's just another choice they want to take from us.

No prob John, I'll brew a batch for you!:)

WVO, yes it's wasted veggie oil. Basically I pick up my oil from a Japanese restaurant after they are done using it (they change it every other day), then I filter it and dewater it which gives me a nice clean oil ready to replace or assist your diesel.

I had converted my previous truck to run fully on wvo and only used diesel to start up and shut down (don't want to keep wvo in your fuel line 'cause this stuff is like Cholesterol... plugs artery pretty quick). Even managed a 12,000km road trip on a 1/2 tank of diesel!

Other option if your truck isn't converted is to blend some wvo with your diesel, good for summer use only. A safe margin is 25% veggie but depending on your truck you can blend up to 50%. Simple isn't it!

I ran 50% WVO for the first bit after my body swap down in Phoenix. The truck fired right up after sitting for over a week and it was a 50% WVO/diesel mix right from cold startup. I did have some odd surging so I filled the long range tank with dino diesel to dilute the mix after 50kms or so. I started with 15 gallons of 50% mix.

It was almost as if it was shutting down every 3-4 seconds while driving but was just fine idling. Not sure if that was due to the WVO or not though.

I ran 50% WVO for the first bit after my body swap down in Phoenix. The truck fired right up after sitting for over a week and it was a 50% WVO/diesel mix right from cold startup. I did have some odd surging so I filled the long range tank with dino diesel to dilute the mix after 50kms or so. I started with 15 gallons of 50% mix.

It was almost as if it was shutting down every 3-4 seconds while driving but was just fine idling. Not sure if that was due to the WVO or not though.

I've been running 50 percent VO without any issues, nothing abnormal at all, for the last month or so. I've been ramping up the percentage starting with 20 percent to see what, if anything will happen over the last year.

A response from a rant I sent ...

Dear Mr. Steiger,​
Thank you for your correspondence of June 13, 2010, in which you indicate that your disapproval of a biodiesel tax that has been implemented in January 2010.​
The Government of Canada has invested more than $2 billion to develop a strong and competitive domestic renewable fuels sector. The federal renewable fuels strategy includes the ecoENERGY for Biofuels program which provides incentives for the production of renewable alternatives to gasoline, such as ethanol, and diesel, such as biodiesel.​
There currently is a federal excise tax of 4 cents per litre on biodiesel which has been in effect since April 2008. You are most likely referring to the removal by the provincial government of British Columbia of its recent 22 cents per litre excise tax exemption on biodiesel. You may wish to obtain additional information on this matter directly from the government of British Columbia.​
Sincerely,​

Marie R. Lefebvre
Deputy Director, ecoENERGY for Biofuels/Directrice adjointe, écoÉNERGIE pour les biocarbuants
Office of Energy Efficiency/Bureau de l'efficacité énergétique
Energy Sector/Secteur de l'énergie
Tel./tél. 613-947-0636 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************613-947-0636******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
marie.lefebvre@nrcan-rncan.gc.ca

Sent: June 13, 2010 13:47
To: NRCan Questions / Questions RNCan
Subject: General question: Bio diesel
[/FONT]
[/LEFT]
NRCan Webmaster Email

Type: General question Subject: Bio diesel Message: I would like to know why the federal government decided to add a new tax to bio diesel back in January of 2010.
I have not been driving as much since my new job enables me to use transit, but I was very upset when I recently stopped in to my local fuel supplier to fill up on my B50 blend.
They have stopped selling it (except for B5) because this new tax made it too expensive.
This is simply outrageous, as the benefits of higher blends of bio vs regular diesel. What has happened to our govts 'green' commitment? Referring URL: http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportation/fuels/biodiesel/biodiesel-availability.cfm?attr=8

Hey guys, I'm back in town if you're interested in giving it a try at blending some WVO. Diesel engines love that stuff, gives them back the lubricant that ultra low sulphur took away... and smells nice!

I'd still play safe and keep it to 25% (summer) for long term use. Anything above and I'd suggest converting to a dual tanks set up.

Nice thing about WVO is that there are no chemicals involved!

Cheers!
David

If they sold it at $1.15 they probably couldn't make enough, supply and demand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom