Best way to fix this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I originally thought that my 6M1 Emerald Green Pearl hood might have gotten a rattle can spray job with no clear coat by the previous owner. Although now I am not sure. I assume I am looking at cracked factory base coat in the first pic.

The surface is extremely rough and kind of sticky. Pollen in particular seems to stick. These pictures are immediately after washing it this morning. There's a pretty big contrast to the other body panels. The odd part is it uniformly screwed up.

Do you think fixing this myself with some 6M1 + clear coat in aerosol spray cans would be effective? or is too large of a surface for this method? I'd probably just remove the hood so I could take my time in the garage over a weekend.

2023-06-04-113625.jpeg

2023-06-04-113636.jpeg

Your clearcoat is gone and your paint is being eaten away under that tree. You can cut and buff it, as long as the paint thickness is sufficient. What you're doing is removing the damaged uppermost layer and exposing the virgin paint beneath it. Even if you have a spot (or two) where the paint isn't thick enough to completely restore, I'd still do it. It'll make a huge difference. And so will new clearcoat.

You might want to start with the cowl panel first, as it's smaller and much easier to handle and quicker to finish.

Your clearcoat is gone and your paint is being eaten away under that tree. You can cut and buff it, as long as the paint thickness is sufficient. What you're doing is removing the damaged uppermost layer and exposing the virgin paint beneath it. Even if you have a spot (or two) where the paint isn't thick enough to completely restore, I'd still do it. It'll make a huge difference. And so will new clearcoat.

You might want to start with the cowl panel first, as it's smaller and much easier to handle and quicker to finish.

Thanks. I sure hate that Live Oak tree. I appreciate the thoughts. Taking that cowl off and working on it first is a great idea.

Red oaks are especially damaging to sunroof seals. The tannins love to eat rubber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom