Best Mod for under $100 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Without taking the whole thing apart right now, here's a quick pic of where the Panavise bracket goes in behind the glove box door. Its held on by two bolts, one of which is visible in the pic here, and the other is behind the glove box trim edge. They are OEM bolts that are already there. Simply take stuff apart and add in the bracket and put back together.

Out of the four Panavise brackets I have done, this seems to be one of the sturdier mounting solutions. I would not be afraid to put a 10" tablet or likewise sized laptop on it utilizing a proper shock-absorbing type arm to hold the computer. I would be hesitant to do the same on either of the LX470 Panavise brackets I have cause those ones just screw into the plastic of the dash (out of site behind the trim and in really nice spots, however). The Tacoma (first Gen) one I installed utilized the radio head unit bolts and it was also a really solid bracket

View attachment 1186600

Thanks for posting that and the info! Ordered one, I'll post a picture when the whole thing is done.

Here's a little mod I did today... Swapped my '05 "switch hole base no. 1" for an '07+ one. AKA, the panel for switches on the dash on the left-hand side of the steering wheel.

I hated the waste of a good switch spot from the fat mirror switch and had planned on opening it up for a fog switch, but then I noticed the '07+ got reconfigured there when they added the aux port to the center console, and they moved the center diff lock switch to the left of the steering wheel here and shrunk the mirror switch.

I got the complete switch hole base and all the switches included for $50 off eBay. All connectors fit right up, no prob. I left out the center diff lock switch as I am leaving the original one where it's at and I'll figure out a fog light switch to go in that spot. Another thing to note is that all of the switches are keyed (or notched) differently and cannot swap around to different positions without cutting out new notches in the switch hole base or cutting off the notches on the switch.

FWIW, this could be done by just buying the newer switch hole base, but then you also have to get the new mirror switch as they have a different outer plastic bracket which does not have a separate Toyota part number on it (and the EPC does not show it as a separate part either), but the inner actual switches are identical... (Unless the old switch bracket surround could be modified...it can...see next post below.)

Part numbers:
55446-60050 SWITCH HOLE BASE No. 1 '07-09
84870-60090 OUTER MIRROR SWITCH ASSEMBLY, '07-09

LexusPartsNow.com shows the switch hole base as $19 and the mirror switch at $129. So I guess this is only under $100 if you get an eBay special like I did or if the old mirror switch bracket can be modified to fit (it can, keep reading below.)

Anyway, pics:
1) new switch hole base ('07-09)
2) old ('02-06)
uploadfromtaptalk1453249677207.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453249733172.jpg

Last edited:
After looking at both mirror brackets up close, I'm confident the wide '02-06 outer switch bracket could be modified and used in the later '07-09 switch hole base. Looking at it from the backside, you can see the extra stuff that is just wanting to be chopped right off. I also placed the two brackets face to face and traced where it would need to be cut. I'm willing to donate it if anybody wants to get the $20 switch hole base and try this route. (I tried it and it works. See a few posts further down.)

uploadfromtaptalk1453266626248.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453266643691.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453266651206.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453266657761.jpg

Last edited:
After looking at both mirror brackets up close, I'm confident the wide '02-06 outer switch bracket could be modified and used in the later '07-09 switch hole base. Looking at it from the backside, you can see the extra stuff that is just wanting to be chopped right off. I also place the two brackets face to face and traced where it would need to be cut. I'm willing to donate it if anybody wants to get the $20 switch hole base and try this route.View attachment 1194519
View attachment 1194520

So you are saying we would just need to use a Dremel the excess plastic on the face of the original mirror control and it would fit in the newer switch base?

I got really tired of the horrible spray pattern from my windshield wiper nozzles. Found mod on ClubLexus, which changes to Tacoma (iirc) nozzle. Much better full pattern and spray. About $35 combined for Toyota parts.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453815530.509151.jpg

Sent from my iPad

I got really tired of the horrible spray pattern from my windshield wiper nozzles. Found mod on ClubLexus, which changes to Tacoma (iirc) nozzle. Much better full pattern and spray. About $35 combined for Toyota parts.

View attachment 1197957

Sent from my iPad
Is that the only part number you need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A

View attachment 1197957

Sent from my iPad
Do these still have the 3 jets per nozzle or are they more of a "fan" spray pattern like, say, newer Fords?

Definitely a nice fan spray...more like the newer cars! My nozzles were clogged and only one of the three seemed to work at any time!

So you are saying we would just need to use a Dremel the excess plastic on the face of the original mirror control and it would fit in the newer switch base?
Not just the face, but also off to one side a bit. And also, I had only just eyeballed it and figured it would prob work, but hadn't tried it. Soooo, I just went and tried it, and, yep, worked just fine. Cut off the excess around the switch and it fit right in. There is a "natural" spot to cut down to regarding the side portion, but you'll have to trace the opening onto the face of the switch to get the face sized right.

I'm not great with a dremel, but here's how mine turned out. It could def be cleaner but I was in a hurry and since its the spare, I didn't care much about it being perfect.
uploadfromtaptalk1453922689295.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453922711139.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453922724469.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1453922734091.jpg

Any links to good LED interior bulbs? I'm not sure what all the interior bulb sizes are.

Coming from the 80 Series this truck is a planet closer to the sun! I am wondering for those of you who changed to LED's, do the bulbs still start light and then go to full brightness like the stock ones? I think that is a classy touch to dim up and down and I would hate to lose that since I think the interior is already bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom