Best Dog Food (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just finished butchering up a s*** ton of turkey necks, pork necks and chicken frames for the next 6 weeks of dinner for the beasts.

She is happy..
ginger tire.JPG

My dogs get Fromm for their dry food. We switch up the flavors but most often they get salmon (their coats are fantastic but the breath not so much) or duck (coats are almost as shiny, breath is better). During the twice annual shedding season when they are blowing coat (like now), they're on duck.

I did a lot of comparing ingredients, Kirkland is the only one its price range that compares to some of the more expensive brands. I have been told to watch for corn in the first 5 or 6 ingredients listed. you don't want corn to be a primary ingredient. you want meat listed first. other grains like barley and rice are ok. Ranger does awesome on the Kirkland, granted he's a year old, but his poop is looks great.......maybe thats not the word.

I've been using the Earthborn primitive natural formula for the last 6 months or so. My dog likes it, poop is good, and her coat has improved. The recommended feeding amount is half of most other dog foods.

As far as cost, I'm spending roughly the same as I was with lower quality foods. The local pet place has it for $48 for a 28# bag. As far as scorch your nose hair off dog farts, I'm in the clear compared to the other stuff.

One other brand my dog did well on was NutroMax. Before the Nutro she was eating Ol roy and Purina, basically whatever my broke student ass could afford, so take that for what it's worth. Looking back on it, even feeding her that crap she was eating better than I was sometimes.

I did a lot of comparing ingredients, Kirkland is the only one its price range that compares to some of the more expensive brands. I have been told to watch for corn in the first 5 or 6 ingredients listed. you don't want corn to be a primary ingredient. you want meat listed first. other grains like barley and rice are ok. Ranger does awesome on the Kirkland, granted he's a year old, but his poop is looks great.......maybe thats not the word.

It has been well over a month and they are both doing fine on the Kirkland Chicken & Rice. No changes in the poop. Actually, Kita's coat is looking better now on Kirkland. I am starting to think claims about Kirkland quality is a little more than a load of sh*t from their competition's marketing. :D

Yeah, these threads always evolve into kind of a buzz, with a lot of "oh yeah?!?! That's crazy!" discussion. It's kinda like my grandparents, who ate horribly, by today's standards, but still managed to live into their 90s.

Maybe we should talk about something we can all agree on, like what is the best oil to use? ;)

Your grandparents probably actually ate great. Lard, tons of bacon and eggs fried in real grease and butter. 100% natural, very little preservatives and not a lot of highly processed foods.

We feed IAMs. Seems to produce perfect poops.

It has been well over a month and they are both doing fine on the Kirkland Chicken & Rice. No changes in the poop. Actually, Kita's coat is looking better now on Kirkland. I am starting to think claims about Kirkland quality is a little more than a load of sh*t from their competition's marketing. :D

My 7 year old Am. Staff. has been on the Kirkland most of her life. When she was young, she, for whatever reason, had a very sensitive stomach, and would get the runs sometimes to the point of not being able to control it. I took her to the vet and had her checked out, and they found nothing "wrong". At one point, they had me put her on a bland diet where she ate nothing but boiled chicken breast, white rice, and "for flavor" I could add cottage cheese or plain yogurt. I tired multiple foods trying to find one that would consistently settle with her stomach. Iams, Nutro, Blue Buffalo, Canidae, a few other specialty hollistic types that I can no longer recall the name on, and the Kirkland Lamb and Rice has been the best, as far as her results, cost, and her actually eating it. Some of the more expensive brands, like Canidae, she would sometimes skip 2 or 3 meals, only eating once every few days. Now that she has gotten older, her stomach seems much stronger, but I have never seen the need to switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom