SOLD Bend, OR: Immaculate 1989 Toyota HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(57, 55, 55)
Outside Link
https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/bend-1989-toyota-land-cruiser-diesel/7553719379.html
With only 180,000 miles on the odometer, this 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser VX HJ61 High-Roof was recently imported from Japan, via Canada, and is now living life in the U.S. with a clear title in Oregon. It is turn-key, rust-free, and ready to be enjoyed, with all of the cost and hard work already done!

Having owned many Land Cruisers over the years, this one has climbed its way right to the top of my favorites. Whether it is the amazing originality of it (down to the Japanese factory glove-box stickers and body decals), or the uniqueness of rolling down the road on the right side of the truck (and shifting with my left hand!), I just can’t help smiling every time I’m in it. Probably the best thing about this truck though, aside from its immaculate (time-warp!) condition, is its stock 12H-T, inline-six 12-valve, turbo diesel paired with the factory 5-speed manual transmission. For those of you in the forum looking, I don't need to preach about this engine, but with only 180,000 original miles on the clock, this 12H-T is barely broken in. It has solid grunt with 134hp and 232lb-ft of torque and its chain driven cam means hundreds of thousands of miles without worry of failure. It leaves my old, anaemic, yet cherished 1988 FJ62 in the dust, literally and figuratively. Plus, that responsive engine growl just makes me happy.

The two-speed transfer case is rock solid, along with the push-button 4wd dash button and factory Aisin hubs, the whole Four-Wheel-Drive system operates like new.

This HJ61 has also recently received a new 2” suspension from Old Man Emu, which gives it great clearance and articulation, while not straying too far from its factory-esque stance. In addition, the truck has received a front axle knuckle rebuild, new wheel bearings, new radiator hoses, new heater hoses, new clutch, new engine rear main seal, new lift shackles, new tie rod ends, new brake pads, calipers and hoses, marker lights/lenses, grill, etc. The list is a long one, all with the intention of making this Cruiser totally reliable and turn-key to be driven anywhere, anytime, and in any condition, and have it look good doing so. The factory power-assisted front disc and rear drum brakes have been gone through and provide ample stopping power. This Land Cruiser is perfectly capable of clearing 35” tires, but in the flavor of honoring that stock feel, it is currently running 265/70R17’s (31.7”).

I have repeatedly heard from Land Cruiser enthusiasts that none have ever seen such a clean HJ61. It not only looks to be sporting the factory original dark gray metallic (code: 155) paint, but is even still wrapped in the original factory side graphics. I will also include a new replacement set of graphics stickers, but just couldn’t force myself to pull the stock patina set off.

I have seen essentially zero rust (no bubbles, no seam, no undercarriage (other than surface)) on the truck and the paint presents like it must have been garaged its entire life, sporting only slight sun fade on the high-roof.

Moving to the interior, it is also amazingly original and clean. It still maintains the Toyota gray cloth interior with gray carpet and an undamaged/uncut factory dash…including the factory double DIN stereo (however it is currently not powering on…). The headliner is clean and undamaged, as are the factory steering wheel, door handles, locks, rear hatch/tailgate, center console, glove-box, etc . All electrical is functional (lighting, dash, signals, horn), including the moon-roof, and all windows, which are fast to rise and fall, and the drivers side hands free switch even works! This vehicle also has factory AC installed.

This HJ61 features a high roof which raises the roof height several inches over a standard 60 series. This added interior ceiling height, lends itself well to the over-landing feature of a gravity installed (no drilled hardware), professional carpenter constructed, retractable sleeping platform, with storage drawers built in below. When in use, the platform slides out over the folded down factory rear seats. The wrapped marine-grade carpet is a nice touch, as a sleeping pad/mattress doesn’t slip around when the bed is made. You will appreciate that extra head space too!

In preparation for the sale, two new batteries have been installed and all fluid changes have been performed. This Cruiser is totally turn-key and ready to make the next owner very happy. I know that these don’t come up very often (mostly due to the fact that the U.S. never imported them), and you would be hard pressed to find one matching this level of condition and originality.
Asking price is $38,500. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I am happy to take additional specific photos and videos. Transportation nearby is an option… Thanks!

20221029_122602.jpg
20221029_122615.jpg
20221029_122644.jpg
20221029_122657.jpg
20221029_122708.jpg

Keywords: Landcruiser land cruiser prado FJ60 FJ 60 FJ62 BJ60 HJ60 HJ61 61 62 1989 1988 1988 1990 Diesel Biodiesel deisel glow plugs 4x4 Four Wheel Drive 4WD JDM Japan Japanese import

Last edited:
Does the split rear seat fold down totally flat to make a floor like in the rest of the 60 series?

Yes, it does. The seat-back flips down to the seat-base and then the whole setup tumbles forward flush to the front seat-backs.
As it pertains to the sleeping platform, it slides across the gap and rests on the trailing edge of the seat base, right behind the back of the front seats. I am happy to take a few pics, if any are interested. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom